FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hutch's TR - The Mo.
PostPosted: August 5th, 2018, 4:22 pm 
FFIM Addict

Montana 2018

My T.R. is overdue and mostly because I haven’t been in my home for 3 nights since june 20th...just home today (August 5th).

Montana this year was simpler in many ways and better in most. We flew cheaper on Delta and only had to sleep in one airport all night (Atlanta-or, as others called it- “The Great ***hole”) and that on the way back.

4 of us went, Gussa, Coach, The Mad Vet and me. We spent ½ of the trip in the Mo, and after dropping Coach and Vet off, picked up Bill (can’t remember his post name here) at the same time and went for the second half on the Madison.

The Mo.

The Missouri was running at just under 11K CFS when we drove into town….that is 2 ½ times high for wade fishing. Our greeting at the Trout Shop was good but Gussa and I were confused by the house we rented- it wasn’t the one we thought----it was much better. Central Air is not to be scoffed at when the outside temp was 97 degrees. I thought we had gone to heaven when we stepped in. NIce place- and we will rent it again next summer. Sleeps 4 well-all in different rooms.

The first night normal people don’t fish- after a 22 hour day, we have dinner, a drink of 2 and sleep. The Mad Vet hit the water- and, while he didn’t KNOW anywhere to go, he found a spot on the side of the road and landed a good fish. He was on the board!

We had 2 guides on the next day- Monday. I know it costs a LOT...but a great guide is a wonder to watch-and we had a great guide. Gussa landed about 35 (he says 30, I say 40) and I had a few less...and the Coach and Vet hit them hard also. We had some excitement when the oar got pinned in a rock and pitchpoled us almost over-and snapped the oar like a twigg… ouch! Nobody was hurt but a freak event. The guide (Robert Boyce) was so very good and friendly, we had he and another group of Mainers over for dinner- and…..well...things got blurry for some of us- and Coach hired Robert for the next day and the Mad Vet went too for a second day w/ a guide. There is a picture of WHY to hire a guide- and the Vet is holding a measured 24” brown. The quote of the week was “THAT is why we come to Montana”

But the wade was off….way off. And we struggled...until we lucked into a back channel that we normally call a mud run- and found some fish. We returned there at night and stumbled into an epic rise that one of us solved with a sunken Cone...and for the next 3 days, we loaded exceptional Bows on that stretch every night. It was some very much fun….except of the rattle snakes- 2 of which was saw- and yes, they are freaking big! (a Guide went over to the first to take pictures- which I think is out of bounds)

The highlights were the “Great Wallet Theft”....or, as my wife calls it, the event that means I do laundry and toilets for a year.

We got back to the truck after a float and drove home for a noteworthy Gussa meal (and did I mention a few drinks?)...and in the morning as we set out, I couldn’t find my wallet---then remembered the van had been UNLOCKED after the shuttle!! We called the shop, and they said another guy had ALSO lost his wallet from a car….****.

I spent the day w/ the phone and the City Bank people- and while I kept getting cut off-and my wife had a stressful day, they sent me a NEEDED card overnight and it was in the shop by noon the next day. Exceptional customer service. After a crappy day, We went fishing and just flat stroked them! Then, on the way home I mentioned to Coach that the only thing worse than the loss of the people I love would be to find that GD wallet back at camp.

It was on the newly made bed in my room….it seems it had been INSIDE the sheets, and the room service woman( who was very grandmotherly) put it where I could find it…..

What do I do? Do I come clean w/ the stressed out wife? Yes...in public...on speaker phone...and she-who is a champ, upon hearing she had needlessly worked all day with customer service….paused about 10 seconds and said “Well...I guess you get laundry and toilets for one year.” ( Think Soup Nazi Voice)

I married above my station.

Saw Dave M on last night we fished the Mo…… and I hit the caddis well as the water had FINALLY dropped to a workable level (That great back channel had passed away from lack of water)...14 to hand.

That is the reason we go out west each year.

( I will post the Madison stuff