FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 16th, 2018, 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 4:45 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

A friend of mine called me in the spring and said he had a canoe for me for free. Well, oh course, I'll take it and asked if it leaked. He was told it didn't and I picked it up a few weeks later and brought it to camp. It sat all spring although Vermonter used it once and pronounced that it in fact did leak but not much.

I finally got around to sanding it down and scraping off multiple layers of paint. Grabbed the fiberglass and resin and patched up the one hole I found and three other weak spots. All set for the small mountain pound that I was told held some good brookies from a very reliable source but first to find the pond.

Scouting mission #1 took us up and down multiple logging roads until we found what we thought was the road that would take us to within 1/2 mile off the pond. The logging road was blocked by some rather large boulders so we left the Jeep and headed uphill on foot. After 3/4 of a mile the road ended and then we bushwacked another 1/4 mile down to the pond. Victory as we found it and we knew we could get a canoe in there without too much work.

This morning we headed out with the free and multipatched canoe. At the large boulders we attached the canoe to the two wheel dolly for the pull up the road but alas, the tires were flat. Oh, well, lashed the canoe down and started up the hill. Not a bad pull even with the flat tires until about half way up one tire fell off! ****, the stupid kotter pin popped out. My buddy headed back down hill in search of it while I found a small stick to use as an all natural kotter pin. It worked and off back up the hill we went. At the top we had to ditch the dolly and decided to drag the canoe through the recent slash from logging activity. A bad strategic decision we would soon find out. Getting the canoe down to the pond turned out fairly easy as we'd give it a shove and off it would go for about 20 yards like a sled in the snow.

We get to the pond and are all proud of ourselves! The pond is small and no signs of any human activity that we could see. We rig up, throw our **** in the canoe and I step into the bow. So far so good but not for long! My friend shoves the canoe out a little more and water starts rushing in from the bottom. And I mean rushing! I get out, grab the vests, life jackets and rods and then we tip the canoe over to find a good size hole smack dab in the middle of the keel. In our hast to slide the canoe down the hill through the slash, an old repair must have got caught and was ripped right off!

We never even cast a line but decided to leave the canoe there and head back in this fall with a resin/fiberglass kit and our float tubes. We'll fix the hole, fish from tubes that day and then test out the new patch.

Despite not wetting a line the adventure was fun just the same!

Ken

Last edited by Ken B on July 29th, 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 5:17 pm 

A good story. Remind me never to let Ken patch one of my canoes.

Ken, it's a whole lot easier to pack a little epoxy and hardener and some glass cloth in to the pond than it is to haul the canoe out and back in. I speak from experience. And a few black flies mixed into the wet epoxy just add character.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 6:19 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Jeff, my patches held like white on snowmen. I didn’t anticipate an old patch getting ripped off! I also put 3 layers of glass on mine! The canoe is still at the pond. NFW were we hauling it back out! We’ll bring the resin in this fall.

You’d like this pond!

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 8:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

You'll like it even more once the canoe is patched again.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 9:49 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Good story, but man, I am glad I wasn’t the buddy on this adventure.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 30th, 2018, 1:59 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Brian Foley take a back seat!!! Ken , he could never have taken that kind of adversity. you are the new man. what an epic adventure. Mr Foley will have to paddle across the ocean to beat that.