FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2018, 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montana.....
PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 7:51 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

Just back from another fantastic trip to Montana. Ran into Hutch our first evening on the Missouri. Six of us headed out there in two different groups.

Our group headed out three days early to spend a couple of days on DePuy’s Spring Creek just south of Livingston, Mt. in Paradise Valley.

I love that Creek. There seems, every trip, to be one fly that, of the hundreds (thousands?) we have with us that seems to be that years “hot fly”.

This year, as in many others, the fly that we caught I’d guess more than 90% of our trout on was that #24 Spent Sulphur Spinner. I’ve probably caught more Spring Creek trout on that fly than all the others I carry combined.

Buzz Basini told me about it some 20-odd years ago. Three of us were fishing an obvious Spinner Fall on Nelson’s Spring Creek. Three very experienced Spring Creek fishermen got our proverbial asses handed to us after throwing every spent spinner we had in our boxes, but nothing smaller tha #20 Rusty’s. I was telling Buzz about our experience from the previous evening when he smiled, went to the bins, and came back with this diminutive little spinner. I thought he was pulling our leg, but he said this is the magic fly for that hatch.

It really does pay to listen to people that know what the hell theyre talking about. I keep 50 to 60 of them in my Soent Spinner box at all times. Terry and Bruce both needed p,entry of them. That fly has saved my butt more times than I care to think about.

Interestingly this year, most of our trout were NOT Browns or Rainbows. We caught mostly Yellowstone Cutts and Cuttbow hybrids. They looked like Rainbows, but had the orange slashes under the gills.

The PMD hatches were sparser than I remember from prior years. We caught trout on PMD Sparkle Duns and Parachutes #18’s, during the day, but the far better Fishing was lower down on the creek in the evenings.

On years that we don’t get to do the Spring Creeks I always miss them. Just great fun. I really wish we had them here in Maine.

After two days on DePuys we packed up and headed two and a half hours northwest to the Craig/Wolf Creek/ Dearborn area to fish the Missouri, and meet up with our theee compatriots. More to come.......

Dave M