FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-tasking fail
PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 10:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

Here are the results of me multi-tasking. After an evening of fishing, talking with my wife while breaking down my gear. Left my favorite rod on my roof rack, unlike Aunt Edna, not tied down. It made it out a dirt road just shy of 1/2 mile. And down the pavement about 150 yards. Didn't realize my mistake until I drove 45 minutes and was putting my gear away. Put line on line dryer and reached into tube to pull out rod, only 1 tip was in sack. Beat feet back to river. Went directly to parking area. Hoped it had fallen off as I pulled away from where I parked. Rod was on riverside maybe 5* off of axis of car. Leaving parking area a right turn with a lean towards drivers side. Centrifugal force and gravity did not enter into equation. Rod came off as car was speeding up. I noticed it(saw grip and reel seat illuminated by my headlights) laying to the field side of the white line on the right side of the road. Rain and a dying flashlight prevented me from locating the rest of the tip.
Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_4b0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4b0.jpeg [ 56.34 KiB | Viewed 427 times ]

Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_4b5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4b5.jpeg [ 51.26 KiB | Viewed 427 times ]

The worst part is many years ago I left a nearly new Marryat reel with a new silk line on my roof and drove off. Never found that and I think about it nearly everytime I pack up from that location. That night it never entered my mind, until...

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Multi-tasking fail
PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 6:47 am 
FFIM Addict

Awe Ron, that really sucks. It’s one thing to do that with a graphite that can be replaced easily, but with a cane rod that’s a whole other story. Thank goodness you have another tip. (I’m presuming it was the tip you broke, not the butt.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 7:31 am 
FFIMer

Ouch!! I was given a tip once where you put the rod your breaking down on the hood and hopefully see it before driving off. Hopefully someone can make you a new section.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 5:20 pm 

That sucks, Ron.

igloo lake wrote:
Ouch!! I was given a tip once where you put the rod your breaking down on the hood and hopefully see it before driving off. Hopefully someone can make you a new section.

Tuck it under the windshield wiper on the driver's side. Very hard to drive away and not notice that.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 8:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave,
The mid and the butt look alright, except for some road rash. But when I put it in use and start flexing it will tell the whole story. It's an Orvis 7-1/2' 3pc, 2 tip rod. I got the blanks on eBay, they had been cleaned up after glueing and thats all. I finished them off. That tip I had just put back in action after the glue failed on the ferrule.
About a week before I had picked up a 48 year old identical rod(except for hardware) off eBay. I'm going to try and get another tip for it. Note; the tips are wrapped in a different color scheme. Originally I did the rod in a dark brown tipped in lighter brown. The tipping didn't show up, so I reversed the color scheme, on everything but the one tip. I was going to redo the tip after I put the other tip back in session. Now it will have to wait again.

Normally the first thing I do is break the rod down and put all components away for travel. This time while speaking with my wife while breaking down I got out of synch. Totally my fault.

Ron

Sir John Buchan