FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:55 am 
FFIMer

I'm on call for work 3 weeks at a time, which means I cant go to my usual fishing spots as I need to stay within an hour of work. I've been pouring over the gazetteer and google maps trying to find local places but having a hard time telling what I would have permission to access. Many times I have found recommended streams in old publications, found them on the map, found access roads via google maps and street view, driven out to them only to find a nice shiny gate has been installed and the road is now private.

Does anyone have tips on how to find ACCESS to new spots on a map? I need to focus my search within
Hancock county for work, so if you would like to share any allowed spots please don't hesitate to PM me.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 10:10 am 
FFIM Addict

Google Earth imagery helps. After that, it's all about the windshield survey for most of us. Time spent poking around looking for fishing spots is half of the fun.

You are more fortunate than many here, as there's a lot of commercial forestry land open down your way that is generally open to the public (with seasonal gate closures to protect muddy roads). Many of us live in more populated areas, where access is more and more frequently cut off by posted signs and paint marks.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 7:13 pm 
FFIMer

Find the spot you want to fish on a map, go to town office and find out who owns it(they are required to tell you), call the land owner and ask permission. Simple, Gates don't necessarily mean no trespassing, just no vehicles.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 8:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

My name is Rory and I'm a mapaholic. I can't help with your problem, but I can't pass up the opportunity to mention a great feature of google maps I found sometime in the last year or so that doesn't seem to be well known - "terrain view". It's much better than the satellite view for getting a sense of the landscape.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 11:09 pm 

You've got a pile of public and land trust land down that way too--Acadia, Donnell Pond, Tunk Lake.

I was down that way last year and got access to several good spots on Tunk Stream and a bunch of smaller waters a little east of you just by knocking on doors and asking. Nobody every turned me down; several gave me intel on where I might find a few trout. Some of that intel even panned out.

No shortage of nice little trout streams down that way, though I bet it was better in May than it will be now. You've also got a ton of good bass ponds, and any of them over 10 acres can be legally accessed.