FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ross and Cheeky reel
PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 8:07 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

The planning for Alaska 2020 with Bob (Vermonter) has officially begun. This of course means new gear. It also means that I am required to spread out the spending so my wife of 30 years doesn’t think I’m nuts. So, the plan is for 3 4 piece rods and reels to match. I already have an 8wt setup so that’s rod number 1. Rod number two will be a used Sage 7wt that I’m buying from Bob so that he can spend money in a new rod! So, I need to find an accompanying reel for said 7wt. I was wondering about Ross and Cheeky? Any thoughts on those brands. Those are under consideration because the price will be very good. Open to other brands and suggestions as well.

Rod three will have to be purchased in fiscal year 19 but open to suggestions there too. Thinking a Thomas and Thomas might be in order!

Ken

Post subject: Re: Ross and Cheeky reel
PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 9:31 am 
FFIM Addict

I brought a Hardy Marquis (for the spey rod), Ross Cimmaroon, and Orvis Hydros reel with me to Alaska. Of those three- the Hydros got the most work- and performed flawlessly. The Cimmaroon also got a workout, but I found I kept stripping line between the spool and arbor. I did not have similar issues with the Hydros. Great reel for the money IMO.

Last edited by Hunter on July 24th, 2018, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 10:17 am 
FFIM Addict

Ken........

Check e bay for Able Super Series. You can usually pick them up for less than half retail. Nit a sealed drag, but perform flawlessly if you lube the cork.

Also......now that able has the second generation of their sealed drag reels out you can pick up a Gen 1 for very reasonable prices.

I wouldn’t trust cheaper reels on an Alaska trip. You want a reel that won’t fail. Just my thoughts.....

Dave M

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm 
FFIMer

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/lamso ... ~d~6868%2F

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 5:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I'll second the Hydros vote - mine has been great in the salt - smooth as silk. It's the reel I ad in Abaco, not that it got much of a workout there.... :roll: I'd buy another....if I needed another......

Hunter wrote:
I brought a Hardy Marquis (for the spey rod), Ross Cimmaroon, and Orvis Hydros reel with me to Alaska. Of those three- the Hydros got the most work- and performed flawlessly. The Cimmaroon also got a workout, but I found I kept stripping line between the spool and arbor. I did not have similar issues with the Hydros. Great reel for the money IMO.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 12:24 pm 
FFIMer

https://www.sageflyfish.com/products/web-specials

PostPosted: July 27th, 2018, 7:04 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ken - check eBay. I picked up all four of my rods & reels this for this upcoming trip there. Most new/closeouts at substantial savings. Did really well on the Lamson Litespeed reels. It takes some time and patience to wait for the right deal...but you have plenty of time. Combine the purchase with one of the 15% or 20% off sale days eBay periodically runs and the savings add up even more.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2018, 9:06 am 
FFIM Addict

Heard tell that often the neophytes are placed ahead of the veteran so as to be the bear distractor. Foley always puts me in the front of the canoe. So in the end Bob gets his 7 wt. back, with a story to tell.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm 
FFIMer

I'm also in the market for a new reel for my 9wt... I might have to check out the Hydros. Anyone have any issues using one long term in the salt? I'm religious about rinsing them after every single use, and the rod as well. I was also looking at the Cheeky Triple Play package, one reel with 3 spools in a case for $350 sounds like a decent deal, I just dont know anything about Cheekys quality.

Peter