FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2018, 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Morning Workout
PostPosted: July 19th, 2018, 12:21 pm 

I spent a large part of last nite on my back, under my truck, so this morning I rewarded myself by skipping my sweaty workout and doing some fishing instead - I hit the Penobby at the end of my street at sunrise - there was mist coming off the water and a couple of eagles were jumping around on the rox by the river and it got better from there...I only landed 3 fish and lost 4 others, but one of those fish was a plump schoolie and another was the largest SM bass I've ever caught in that area - he was a very fat, old one but still had a LOT of fight left in him - my right fore arm still good a good work out today - last Tuesday nite the stripers were blitzing the out-migrating baby alewives something wicked - it was quite a sight to see - what a great resource that river is...tight lines!

Attachments:
River.JPG
River.JPG [ 39.46 KiB | Viewed 1341 times ]
smallie.JPG
smallie.JPG [ 62.87 KiB | Viewed 1341 times ]
Striper.JPG
Striper.JPG [ 53.36 KiB | Viewed 1341 times ]

Post subject: Re: My Morning Workout
PostPosted: July 19th, 2018, 7:23 pm 
FFIMer

Very nice Brian..
That is one chunky small mouth for sure, I have been doing some bass fishing on the Kenny myself and been seeing some very large stripers feeding in the early morning hours. Has anybody.. or can you float that section of the Penobscot with a drift boat ? always looking for a new reach to float. I was watching New England sports network before a game a few weeks ago some fishing show was on. They were float fishing a stretch up the Lincoln area. Lots of nice moving water and they were catching some pretty nice bass,looked like a real nice float. Are you ( or anyone) familiar with that area that I am speaking of?

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 10:15 am 

Hey K-Fly - good to hear you're doing well on the Kenny - that's an interesting popper there - looks like the fish like it too! Technically, the Old Town/Orono stretch of the Penobby is floatable with a drift boat but there is no convenient launch spot and the spot where I fish is really not accessible by boat either - a raft or pontoon boat would be better for that stretch - The Chester to Lincoln stretch is outstanding - you could put in directly below the Chester bridge on the west side and take out 2 miles below the Lincoln bridge on the east side - I'm just a little unsure about the suitability of the launch site for a drift boat, but I'm pretty sure it's possible...I like that stretch a lot...tight lines and let us know how you do!

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 12:26 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the info...
If you are interested in joining me on a float on the Chester to Lincoln sometime I have no problem driving up and meeting you it would be nice to have someone familiar with the stretch of river,also have a pontoon and maybe a run with your yak in your neighborhood may be fun.As for the launch I am getting pretty good getting my drifter in some not so great launches :roll:

On another note...saw a young Eagle grab a mother of a shad this morning pretty much dragged it to the shore for breakfast pretty cool..

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 10:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

way to go guys, lookin very good

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 7:29 pm 
FFIMer

brian foley wrote:
The Chester to Lincoln stretch is outstanding - you could put in directly below the Chester bridge on the west side and take out 2 miles below the Lincoln bridge on the east side - I'm just a little unsure about the suitability of the launch site for a drift boat, but I'm pretty sure it's possible...I like that stretch a lot...

*Just an FYI- Some of you may know this already, but the Chester bridge itself is closed for repair currently- likely till the end of August. Most of you coming up from 95 would likely bypass Lincoln- and take the Chester Road anyway- all the way to the landing on the west side of the river by the bridge (still no problem doing that). If you plan on going through Lincoln- to get gas or a bite to eat- and then hit the bridge...well, you're going to be doing some backtracking. :wink: I live in Chester less than 1/4 mile from the bridge and figured I better chime in here to save a little frustration.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 1:03 am 
FFIM Addict

It's a shame that there isn't a hard launch in OT/Milford below the dam. I think that would actually be a pretty good stretch in a dory. Or a hard launch closer to the Orono launch (like somewhere in Veazie) would be nice, too. There's a new launch in Howland now, below the dam, I think, but I haven't checked that out. Howland-Passadumkeag might be worth looking into.

I had a great day fishing out of my sister and her boyfriend's dory about a week ago on the Greenbush-Costigan stretch. My wife rowed and my sister and I pounded the bass, mostly on dragonfly dries. It was one of my best days ever flyrodding for bass on this stretch, though none were nearly as big as Brian's. I didn't get around to trying the section below the Milford dam this trip. Hit Mud Pond and all three girls caught white perch, with the younger two (3 and 6) each catching their first fish -- they each caught several. I broke in my new Hydros 2 on some white perch on dries before the bass venture the next day. I did some fishing in the ocean downeast, then finished up my week fishing an evening on my natal stream with my dad, where I had a big fish slam the big streamer on first cast, then caught no big fish. If I'd had my act together a little better, I could've finished up with one more day hitting the WB with some buddies from high school.

You all have a cornucopia of fishing opportunity. I had a good time in central and eastern Maine.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 7:08 am 
FFIMer

Thanks Guy's
Some great info.. Looking forward to checking the area out soon.With this heat Bass will be on the menu for awhile :wink:

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 9:39 am 
FFIM Addict

There are decent boat launches in Howland, Passadumkeag, Greenbush, and Costigan. All are a good float.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm 
FFIMer

Nice SM bass Brian it must have been a blast to land this one!

Congrats!