FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 8:34 pm 

First the good news from Jason Valliere at Maine DMR on this years sea run fish returns on the Penobscot.
We are up to 612 salmon at the Milford fishlift! Plus 12 more from Orono = 624 salmon returning to the Penobscot this year do far!

Additionally we have counted:

3777 American shad
1976 Sea Lamprey
772 Striped Bass
2,174,763 River Herring

Now, for the bad news: (Emphasis added)

As of 7/2 the Milford Sorting facility has been left with “Gates Open” allowing free passage of all fish into the headpond. Salmon and shad counts are coming from Brookfield via the camera they have on the main hopper. This is due to the high river temperatures we have been experiencing, and those temperatures exceeding the point at which we can safely handle fish without causing too much stress on them. Our policy restricts us from handling fish over 24C. This criteria was set from years and years of handling fish and learning from our observations. River temperatures have not receded below 24C since 7/2 even early in the morning with many days climbing as high as 26C+. Typically we do not see many salmon moving during these high temperatures. Generally we experience this high temperature period in late July and early August and it lasts 2-3 weeks, which is why we schedule the annual summer maintenance shutdown for early August to coincide with this event. This year it is obviously greatly extended and temperatures are as high as we have ever seen them.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 9:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

24 degrees C is approx 80 degrees F. They are saying the river water is 80 degrees?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 14th, 2018, 12:00 am 

24 would be more like 75. 26 is about 79.

[url]http://www.calculconversion.com/conversion-celsius-to-fahrenheit.html
[/url]

This happens most summers in the lower Penobscot, but it's a lot earlier this year.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 4:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Thats fair... my "times 2 plus 32" is only a directional guide... but I am still surprised that the river is pushing 76 degrees.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 5:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Thats fair... my "times 2 plus 32" is only a directional guide... but I am still surprised that the river is pushing 76 degrees.

I’m not. The dark, tannin stained water of the Penobscot soaks up a lot of heat. It’s not unusual to have a few days in late August where it tops out in the low 80s. The rivers have been running at late summer levels for a while, and it has been hot- good conditions for driving up water temps. We need both rain and some cool nights. Anyone up for a hurricane dance?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 6:35 pm 
FFIMer

The formula is 9/5 of the centigrade reading plus 32. 24C = 75.2F.

Last edited by SoftHackle on July 16th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 6:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yesterday afternoon the air temp when I parked at the Farmington was 89*. The river was a balmy 56*. Wading out I stopped and sat down to bring water to the base of my vest. Had to cool down before working up a sweat working some nice fish.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 12:16 am 

1weight wrote:
The river was a balmy 56*. Wading out I stopped and sat down to bring water to the base of my vest. Had to cool down before working up a sweat working some nice fish.

Ron

Wet wading? That dip to the base of your vest will cool you quickly! :lol:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 6:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sorry Jeff. Stumbled and filled the waders a couple of times back when water was still in 30's&40's. Need to wear my waders to get through the berries and wild roses. I do trim the trail back somewhat to protect my wader legs. My gravel guards are shredded and Simms says they are too far gone to fix. Their words " only wear your waders where you'd wear shorts". My words, "I fish New England not the pastures of the west*. When I go swimming I like the pool 80-85*. Labrador waters can vary and depending on how bad one smells.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 7:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Really? Simms replaces my gen 1 gravel guards with some beefy neoprene ones... but that was several years ago and gen 1 was really soft.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2018, 9:01 am 
FFIM Addict

678 salmon as of July 15th.

And a few more American shad to bring the total there to 3826.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 1:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

Some river temps from today care of the USGS. And it's not even hot today.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/curr ... y=basin_cd