FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 14th, 2018, 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maine Heritage fish
PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 9:10 pm 
FFIMer

While I was away a sign was posted on a tree in front of my camp. The sign stated that my pond,Grace Pond" is a heritage trout water and is not stocked" and and went on to say that "fishing with live bait is prohibited due to the negative effect the introduction of a new species of fish to the pond could have. Check the law books to see what other regs exist on the pond."

I have no problem with the sign and what these people are trying to do but no one asked me if it was ok to post the sign. Perhaps they asked a sport whom they thought was an owner and the sport said "fine". The sign on my gate says "private" but someone came onto the property to post the sign.

There seems to be a little irony here with the Fish and Wildlife push to ask landowner permission to hunt and fish over private property. I have to believe there is a logical explanation for this situation. Perhaps it was someone that knows me and thought " Tom won't mind". I really don't mind but It's always nice to be asked.

The sign has the Native Fish Coalition symbol at the bottom as well as Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and Sportsman's Alliance of Maine.

Post subject: Re: Maine Heritage fish
PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 2:17 pm 
FFIMer

Hopefully something positive will develop Hatch!

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 10:48 am 
FFIM Addict

Hi Tom,

Emily Bastian is the point person for NFC here in Maine. You might try reaching out to her- she's usually very approachable. Per the Native Fish Coalition's website, her email address is: emily.brooktrout@gmail.com

Good luck,
-Hunter

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 1:28 pm 
FFIMer

Hello Hatch, thanks for bringing this to our attention, and allow me to apologize on behalf of Native Fish Coalition (NFC) for the misfire.

Our State Heritage Fish Sign project is a large purely volunteer effort involving more than 575 waters, numerous landowners and in-holdings and leases, several government agencies, and hundreds of volunteers. It is also just one month old and we are still working out the bugs.

I spoke with the volunteer who put up the sign at Grace Pond and we will do whatever you would like to mitigate the situation including removing or moving the sign. We have also added a note about private property, businesses, camps, etc., to both the volunteer instruction sheet and the project page on our website (https://nativefishcoalition.org/campaig ... rout-signs).

Prior to putting up the Grace Pond sign the volunteer had worked with a couple of other similar properties who fully embraced the project including requesting additional signs, and unable to find anyone to speak with at Grace got a bit overzealous and posted the sign without talking to anyone. That was a mistake and while they meant well they admitted such.

While we have opened up many waters to the posting of signs, others are on hold while we wait for permission, or because we were told we could not put up signs as is the case with Maine Department of Parks and Recreation which affects our State Public Reserved Lands. We have agreements to proceed with North Maine Woods, TNC, Weyerhouser, Penobscot Nation, etc., are are working with KW&W as we speak.

NFC took on this project, a huge bite for a new and small group, to help draw attention to and protect our State Heritage Fish waters. We continue to lose waters to invasive baitfish including several just across Route 201 from Grace Pond, as well as three critically valuable Arctic charr waters -- Big Reed, Wadleigh and Bald Mountain ponds. If we can prevent even one invasive fish introduction it is well worth the cost and effort.

You and anyone else who is interested can learn more about the project at https://nativefishcoalition.org/campaig ... rout-signs. And feel free to reach out to ME NFC chair and project lead Emily Bastian at ME@NativeFishCoalition.org.

Again, please accept our apology and let me (info@NativeFishCoalition.org) or Emily know how you would like us to proceed. And thanks for your patience and understanding.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm 
FFIMer

bob-nfc, Thanks for your message. As stated before you have a worthy cause. The sign in front of camp is fine. I would like to suggest you put a sign up at the public landing at Grace Pond if you have not already.. If you would like send me a sign and I will do it for you. You can contact me through the private message on this board and I'll give you my mailing address. It might save your group another trip to Upper Enchanted TWP.
Thanks, Tom

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 6:54 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for understanding Tom, and again, I apologize for the snafu. While unfortunate, good projects don't need bad press, we learned something and made some adjustments to help prevent similar misfires in the future.

Public launches are our top priority as they get the most, and most risky, traffic. Thanks for the heads-up. We'll get you a sign and hardware ASAP, thanks so much for helping out here.

We work with private owners and leasers where the property sees a lot of traffic. Most have been very receptive as they have an investment to protect and a greater appreciation of the resource than a casual user. We have also been told that customers like the signs as it lets them know they are somewhere special and unique.

And thanks for recognizing what we are trying to do here. As you well know we have lost a lot in the last twenty years and need to do everything we can to stop the bleeding. To lose Round Pond, my favorite brook trout pond in the state, to shiners was a real eye-opener for me. When shiners showed up downstream in Horseshoe Pond, another top-tier wild brook trout water, and compromised it as well it drilled it home. Thissell was another favorite pond and it has had to be reclaimed several times now.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 3:48 pm 
FFIMer

Bob-nfc, The "State Heritage Fish Water" sign came in the mail today. I'll head down to the Grace pond landing as soon as I get the chance. These are really nice signs. I suspect there will be those that will walk off with them. I'll bring a ladder and put it up, out of harms way. Tom

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Nice job handling this situation all. We are all in this together. Well done!