FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muddy and high in July
PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 8:53 am 
FFIM-aholic

Spent the week up in Rangeley region and witnessed some wicked thunderstorms, one of which woke me up at 2 am and had me breathing a sigh of relief when it just brushed our island campsite and rumbled off to the North.
The next morning my buddy got a text alert on his phone (US Cellular, not a bar anywhere for AT&T) about a flood warning. We thought that was strange as it hardly rained that night on the island as the storm brushed past...
Then I took a look at the Kennebago under 16 and the Cupsuptic boat launch area. Dark brown with not an inch of visibility and flooding the banks. Big boiling flows.
Three days later (yesterday), it was time to leave, and the Kennebago had hardly cleared at all. Cupsuptic was getting gray but still murky and high.
The water level on the beach of our Mooselook island campsite had risen over a foot in three days.
I'm really glad that storm missed us :shock:

PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 3:37 pm 
FFIMer

Wow, that's amazing maineangler. I LOVE a good thunderstorm, but they can be downright frightening up there. I was up to my buddies at Kennebago a few years ago, and he always told me how intense they can be. One night I was there by myself and they just kept going for hours, it was like they were rolling around in the valley and were boxed in by the mtns. Next morning trees down everywhere. I was up there last weekend and we got a good storm Sat. night but we needed it. The flow in the river was perfect and I thought to myself, bet it'll get good. Too bad it's now blown out! Amazing how much water those storms must have dumped. Fishing can be so darn fickle. Thanks for posting the info.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 1:03 am 
FFIM-aholic

Split Shot wrote:
I was up there last weekend and we got a good storm Sat. night but we needed it. The flow in the river was perfect and I thought to myself, bet it'll get good. Too bad it's now blown out! Amazing how much water those storms must have dumped.

I thought something similar about the muddy flow, that the flush might have possibly drawn some fish in from the big lake. We aren't alone. Sure enough, there was someone wading the Kennebago under Rte. 16 Thursday morning. Brave!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 10:09 pm 

Seems to have been highly focused. Diamond River came up a little. Spencer Stream had a little bump. Austin barely budged.