FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 11:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

I lost a rod again, about 2 weeks ago. I think I left it sitting in the tube at the takeout after a good day of floating and some fishing (even caught a few) with the family. Oh well. It hasn't turned up, so I'm moving on and shopping for a new rod.

What should I be looking for? I'm kind of cheap when it comes to rods. So I'm looking for something that doesn't cost too much money, but does come with a good warranty. I like a medium or medium-fast. I loved my old Sage DS2 (before I lost it). I have a 7' 6" cane 5 weight for my small stream fishing (landed 6 trout on dries on it during windy conditions last night). And a 7 wt for streamers and bass bugs.

What should I try to cast?

And if I was to shop in Maine next week, where's a good spot to test cast some rods?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 6:12 am 
FFIMer

If in Maine try the Eldredge Brothers shop. Good selection and I'm pretty sure you can cast them there. Great guys to work with.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 7:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

I really like my TFO Professional II. It's Medium/Fast (more medium I'd say) action and quite affordable at $169.00. Mine is about 7 years old and after a recent trip my casting hand was becoming irritated. I noticed some of the cork cracking and chipping. I called TFO and they suggested I sent the rod back in. About a week later I get a call from a TFO rep telling me that they were going to replace the cork handle and repair one of the stripping guides (I didn't even know it was broken). A week later the infamous long triangle package arrives and inside was a brand new replacement rod. Not sure why they changed their mind, but I'd consider that good warranty support.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 8:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

Pushaw- are you going to be home? Go see Don Corey in Brewer- he has a good selection of rods and room to test cast- You may really like the Echo.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 9:00 am 

Well, the first thing I would do is forget the 5 wt and look for a 4 wt - a 5 wt used to be my standard "big game" rod but a few years ago I went to a 4 wt and have been happy ever since - IMO, today's 4 wts are the new 6 wts - in fact, I use a 6 wt line on mine much of the time and have no problem throwing #2 & 4, weighted streamers - bottom line is that the "rules" have changed a lot since we all started FFing and the conventional wisdom doesn't apply to a lot of what we do these days...I like my 9' Orvis Clearwater - it cost $198 and comes with the best warrantee in the business, but I know you can find lots of other rods out there that are just as good for less - in fact, any more, you'll prolly have a harder time finding a crappy rod than a good one...rods that cast well are almost a commodity these days - it seems that what sells most people on a particular rod these days are the details and personal preferences like fit, finish, color, brand name, etc - same goes for reels...
Once you get your new rod I would suggest trying it out on the Penobby - stripers & shad are stacked up under the Milford Dam on the Milford side or drop me a line and we'll go upstream - good luck & happy shopping!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 9:33 pm 
FFIMer

I just bought a Fenwick Ateos 5 wt . and I love it ! Cabela's has them and you can try it out! Very good price too $189.00! Great rating in 5wt. shoot out across country. good luck