FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New FFIM call to action
PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 6:18 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Let’s all chip in and buy King and Bartlett and save it from development. I heard that the guy from Amazon is going to buy it and turn it into a Amazon Spring Water! Ok, not really but let’s buy it anyways!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am 
FFIMer

What would it take to do?!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 9:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

Good idea Ken,

What do you think about selling the FFIM helicopter for a downpayment? Or maybe the jet boat? :)

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 10:08 am 
FFIM Addict

The land surrounding King & Bartlett has been on the market for a couple years now. The price point is high IMO- or the owner of King & Bartlett sporting camp would have likely purchased it. $2M for 770 acres is high by Maine standards, but low by western standards. Few like our black flies apparently. But, they'll eventually find a buyer, I'm sure. It costs little to keep it on the market until it sells.

I believe there are deed restrictions that preclude purchase of this land and opening it up to the public- so, it's really going to be someone looking for a private spot.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

Can the FFIM corporate jet land on the property?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

As luck would have it, I just stumbled across some pics from when a friend and I were in there, just before seeing this post. It was a pretty cool series of lakes, ponds and streams. No shortage of small brookies in the mill pool and my buddy got one nice fish (ON A BLACK LEECH), and the camps were all nice. The main lodge was awesome, full of tons of memorabilia and the first time I laid my hands on a copy of Forgotten Flies. The main lake likely has some fish measured in lbs.

The price seems high, but having 700 acres with a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in, may be worth it to someone or some group.... but more than the purchase price would be the upkeep. It would have to be 10% of the price a year just to keep the camps from becoming the delapodated cabins of yester year, and to maintain what has to be 100 miles of gravel.

Don’t buy the shirt if you can’t afford the dry cleaning....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 2:22 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF,

The camps sit on two relatively small parcels. The 700 acre tract is not developed and under different ownership.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 10:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I stand corrected.... but no bonus points of a “Five Man Electrical Band” reference? Tough crowd.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 11:34 pm 
FFIMer

LMF purchase. make it public? I think that the state needs a few more bonds on the issue to buy some more Maine public reserve land. Our State needs to keep this ball rolling (IMHO) when it comes to the purchase and protection of lands for public use. We have seen a decline in the use of some of these areas , but that cycle will head back the other way at some point I think.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 8:15 am 

kennebecster wrote:
LMF purchase. make it public? I think that the state needs a few more bonds on the issue to buy some more Maine public reserve land. Our State needs to keep this ball rolling (IMHO) when it comes to the purchase and protection of lands for public use. We have seen a decline in the use of some of these areas , but that cycle will head back the other way at some point I think.

I love that idea, but it's not likely under the current administration. More importantly, there appear to be restrictions on public access to this parcel that would prevent Land for Maine's Future Funds from being used to acquire it.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 8:53 pm 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
I stand corrected.... but no bonus points of a “Five Man Electrical Band” reference? Tough crowd.

I got and appreciated the reference. Now I have to go find that track on YouTube.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 8:56 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Don’t settle for the crap Tesla version