FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyeglasses......
PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 2:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.........

I’m sure some of you might be wondering what glasses have to do with fly fishing.

Actually, when one gets to a certain age......it has a helluva lot to do with flyfishing.

The other day I got out my packing list for our Western Trip coming up in two weeks.

I need my regular glasses, and a backup pair.

Then sunglasses, and backup sunglasses.

Then click cheaters, and backup clicks. Plus the cheaters that always reside in the upper pocket of my chest pack.

That’s seven (count ‘Em!) pair of eyeglasses.

I can no longer thread hook eyes without the cheaters.

I know contacts can be damned expensive, and I’ve tried them and can’t wear them, but I sometimes think it would be a helluva lot easier to do contacts rather than multiple pair of glasses.

Dave M

PS: I’m sure some of you are thinking why take a backup pair of regular glasses. Eye art Express or others can make you a new pair in an hour. Well......maybe if you’re in a city. There are no one hour glasses places in Craig or Ft. Smith, Mt. perhaps Helena might have one......or Billings, but most of 5he places we fish in Montana are way off the beaten path.

And, btw, for those of us that wear eyeglasses.......without them we’re #*”&#*.

Last edited by Dave M on June 28th, 2018, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Eyeglasses......
PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 3:12 pm 
FFIMer

The grass isn't always greener. I had contacts that allowed me to see very well at distances. However, I still needed cheaters and or a flip-focal on my hat to tie on flies. Over the past two years I've had cataracts removed in both eyes which left me with no contacts and great distance vision but still in need of the flip-focal and or cheaters. If trout ate only number 4 flies, I be golden well past sunset.

Last night I lost my fly at 8:45. My flip-focal was smudged and useless and my glasses weren't getting it done for me. I sat for the last half hour and watched my buddy fish.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 3:59 pm 
FFIMer

was just about to post a question about a fly tying magnifier when I saw this. Last year I followed some people advice and got some flip focals and the result has been great. Last year was the first time I struggled seeing small flies up close. I cant imagine having to tote all those glasses with me for a fishing trip!!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm 
FFIMer

Yup, I would certainly be S.O.L without my glasses, and I'm not of a certain age.... I've been in glasses since first grade, I cant actually remember life without them. My current prescription is +6.75, so I would have a hard time just walking out of the river without them, let alone get back to home. I have prescriptions sunglasses I fish with and keep my regulars on me, but play it fast and loose and do not keep a second pair handy. I also can not do contacts, I've tried them twice, and they just do not work for me.

Peter

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 8:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Glasses have been a part of my life for years. Clip-on polarized sunglasses for me and I normally don't bring the spare but I am very cautious about losing or damaging them.Blind as a bat without them. If I ever broke my glasses I would have a hell of a time getting back to the truck.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 9:00 pm 
FFIMer

I went years without prescription sunglasses. Didn't know what i was missing without polarized glasses. 10 years ago I got a pair and really miss them when I don't have them. now I also have cheaters and backup cheaters. The Joy! The Joy!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 11:34 pm 

Thank god I do not need regular glasses--yet. (But I can see it coming. Don't notice it so much fishing, but there was time in a duck blind when I was the first to see birds, and now I'm often last.)

But I do need magnifiers for any fly smaller than 14, and anything but full daylight.

Has anyone tried these? I just missed a chance to get a pair at a steep discount, but didn't know anyone who had used them to get a reference. The chance will probably come again, and this would let me get by with a single pair of glasses instead of sunglasses plus mags.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/sunset-specials/howler-readers/HO+R+SUNSET.html?cgid=sunset-specials&dwvar_HO%20R%20SUNSET_frame=11S#start=1

In case the link does not work, these are Costa Del Mar "readers". Here's the catalog blurb:

C-Mates Sunglass Readers: Get the benefit of readers and sunglass all in one. Equipped with our patented C-Mate technology, these Costa Howler reader sunglasses are the perfect balance of performance and function, whether it's spotting a fish, tying a hook or reading a map. Without any visible line separating the bifocal area, these performance fishing men's Angler reader sunglasses make for a seamless day spent uncovering a new stretch of water, casting and getting one on the line. With three power ranges of +2.50, +2.00 and +1.50, we have the perfect pair for any taste.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2018, 6:29 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Thank god I do not need regular glasses--yet. (But I can see it coming. Don't notice it so much fishing, but there was time in a duck blind when I was the first to see birds, and now I'm often last.)

But I do need magnifiers for any fly smaller than 14, and anything but full daylight.

Has anyone tried these? I just missed a chance to get a pair at a steep discount, but didn't know anyone who had used them to get a reference. The chance will probably come again, and this would let me get by with a single pair of glasses instead of sunglasses plus mags.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/sunset-specials/howler-readers/HO+R+SUNSET.html?cgid=sunset-specials&dwvar_HO%20R%20SUNSET_frame=11S#start=1

In case the link does not work, these are Costa Del Mar "readers". Here's the catalog blurb:

C-Mates Sunglass Readers: Get the benefit of readers and sunglass all in one. Equipped with our patented C-Mate technology, these Costa Howler reader sunglasses are the perfect balance of performance and function, whether it's spotting a fish, tying a hook or reading a map. Without any visible line separating the bifocal area, these performance fishing men's Angler reader sunglasses make for a seamless day spent uncovering a new stretch of water, casting and getting one on the line. With three power ranges of +2.50, +2.00 and +1.50, we have the perfect pair for any taste.

Jeff, I picked up a pair of these (same brand but an older version) in brown a couple of years back on Sierra Trading Post at a sizeable discount. They were/are a game changer. No fumbling for readers, clip-ons, etc. I don't even notice the line anymore. I wear contacts for distance, so that makes seeing small items up close a challenge. At my annual eye exam, I checked which reading power I needed....+1.75. There is a big difference between +1.50 and +1.75, etc. Some stores have displays you can look through for a simple test.

You do have to get used to tilting your head more when looking down (if you don't need the magnifications) instead of just using your eyes, but I got used to it and adjusted quite quickly.

Since I always were eye protection while fishing, I also picked up a couple pair of cheap full frame zero power reading glasses with the same +1.75 reader on the bottom. Great for those after dark times.

Last edited by InTheTrees on June 29th, 2018, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2018, 6:42 am 
FFIMer

Jeff I used the same type of glasses as safety glasses at work. They were great when not moving, but I (and others) found them distracting when walking or going down a ladder. I'm not sure if wading with them would work for me. Of course it may vary with different folks.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I bought a relatively cheap pair (not Costa but Bean brand I believe) from Beans outlet years ago. Took me a while to get used to NOT look down through the lens while wading; tough to keep my balance. I got it pretty wired now and LOVE the glasses. Personally - I like amber lenses WAY better than gray. Still keep a pair of cheaters in my vest and waders. Can NEVER have too many pairs with you!