FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 8:24 pm 
FFIMer

The relentless spring finally gave way to summer up here on the north shore and I launched my 2018 fishing season about a month ago. I'm behind on my fishing reports so I'll mix 4-5 fishing trips in one report.

I started my season on may 25th as i did last summer on one of my favorite lake camping and fishing for lake trout. My vessel for my early season fishing trips is my trusted 10 feet zodiac with a 5 hp honda.

The weather was perfect and the lake was as beautiful as usual.

The togues were feeding on smelt in 18-22 feet of water. I started trolling with a big blue smelt streamer and rapidly caught a 3 lbs togue. Fishing was kind of slow and I caught another 3 lbs togue and a nice 5 pounders. That fish pulled a good bend on my 7 wt rod!

I spent another weekend early june on that lake but fishing was very slow I only caught a 3 lbs togue.

On june 1st I left Baie-Comeau in the afternoon after work and I made the 3h30 drive north to reach a nice river dumping in the Manic-5 reservoir. The reservoir ice out 2 days before and the targeted species was mainly the wild LLS chasing smelt in the rivers that dumps in the reservoir. The view from my camping spot wasn't bad and I Had 4 days of fishing in front of me!

On the first morning I woked up at 5 am to a raging reservoir with 5 feet tall waves supported by strong wind... No way i'm going to lauch myself on that kind of water to do a 1 hour boat ride on a 10 feet long zodiac...safety first. So I wasn't able to do any fishing on that first day.

Next morning i woke up at 4h30 am and I got to the river I wanted to reach by 6 am.

This is a such a fishy looking place!

I fished the spot for 12 hours straight without any strike and I didn't saw any fish action at all... The next day I did the same thing I fished for 10 hours without any action. At some point some spin rod anglers stopped by and fished for 2-3 hours and they also got nothing. Usually this place is full of LLS at that time of year. The last day I decided to leave early and I fished a river dumping in the Manicouagan river near the Manic-5 hydro plant. It was also a bust as I got no action there.

Eventought I caught nothing I enjoyed my trip up there. That body of water is so big and wild that there's a special feeling to be in that place and get the opportunity to fish there. A kind of interior peace and a feeling of being so small in front of that kind of wilderness. As of fishing it's just another chapter in my love/hate relationship with the Manic-5 reservoir... I keep going back there because I love the place despite the fact that I catch nothing most of the time!!

On the june 16th weekend I went back to do some exploration on the Ste-Anne reservoir/Toulnustouc river watershed. I visited new spot looking for brookies in rivers but the fishing was slow due to the fact that the rivers were still a little bit high and cold. In the end I went back to one of my usual and favorite spot for brookie fishing on the mighty Toulnustouc river.

Brookies were active and all over the place! I caught a lot of them in the 10-13 inches range with my trusty blue smelt streamer and my red butt muddler. Ikept that 13 inches for lunch and it was delicious!

I also had the chance to catch 2 beautiful 18 inches brookies!

As of now I came back yesterday from a 5 days fishing trip back to the Manic-5 reservoir...but this one will be part of the next fishing report!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 7:34 am 
FFIMer

Northernfly, you travel to some beautiful places. I can appreciate the vibe you get when you are there. The area seems so vast and remote. Some good looking fish.

Do you deflate the Zodiac and put it in the back of your vehicle or do you have to put it on the roof?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 7:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

Northernfly,

Great post and photos. Thru Mr. Foley I have learned the beauty and wildness of the north country. Manicouagan has to be the most recognizable reservoir on the planet. I get great memories every time I see a map with it shown.
Your very lucky to live where you do.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 9:59 pm 

Hey Seb, good to hear your season is coming together - thanks for sharing the reports! Not that I need any encouragement, but your reports really got me amped to head in that direction - keep'em coming & tight lines!

PostPosted: June 29th, 2018, 7:09 am 
FFIMer

braggsbay wrote:
Northernfly, you travel to some beautiful places. I can appreciate the vibe you get when you are there. The area seems so vast and remote. Some good looking fish.

Do you deflate the Zodiac and put it in the back of your vehicle or do you have to put it on the roof?

Yes I deflate the zodiac every time and put it in the back of my vehicle. I'll strap it to the roof only when I have short distances to do between 2 ponds.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 7:53 pm 
FFIMer

The last photo shows a brookie flashing you!!