FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thank you, Izaak.
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 6:43 pm 
FFIMer

Quite a while back, Izaak, a member of this FFIM forum, wrote something to this effect, "If you are practicing C&R, why wouldn't you use a barbless hook?" Izaak's simple statement has always made sense to me; and I have followed his advice, for a long time. Well, school is finished tomorrow; and it is almost time for my wife and me to head back up to our northern camp. So last night, I brought out one of my favorite, sentimental, fiberglass fly rods, that I do not use too often, anymore. It is an 8.5 foot Fenwick, that I made from a blank, year's ago. I took it into the kitchen, to change the leader and check the fly line. I was holding the rod in my right hand, and holding the attached fly, (my hand tied, {what else}, Wood Special), in my left hand. Suddenly, it happened...WHAM! BLAM! BANG! I accidently stuck the tip of my fly rod into the ceiling fan! After my shock wore off, my cussing ceased, and I had got our poor dog to stop trembling...the rod, miraculously (seemed) okay, but the leader had snapped, after it had driven my size 8 streamer fly, into my left thumb, way past the barb. I was about ready to tape the fly to my thumb and go to the emergency room, for a likely three or four hour wait; but then I remembered, the last time I had used that rod and that fly, was last summer at GLS, and even though my wife and I both like to eat fish, GLS has been one of the spots in Maine, where I have always practiced C&R. Thinking to myself, please, let this be one of my C&R barbless hooks, I put a little backward pressure on the embedded fly, with my right hand, and the hook easily slid right out, phew...my Leatherman had done a good job, this past summer, bending in that barb...thank you, Izaak!

Post subject: Re: Thank you, Izaak.
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 10:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have always maintained that barbless hooks are as important for the fisherman and those around him as they are for the fish. I bet I've buried a hook in my arm/finger/ear etc dozens of time, probably way more over the years, and out they come easy as pie. They do cost a fish at times but no big deal.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 11:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yup, totally for the fisherman. Anybody who has shared a boat with me and seen me cast (with limited consideration of oarsman behind me) is glad to know I pinch barbs.

I think you get better hook set barbless and my theory is that's why I lose most fish -- poor hook set.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 9:13 am 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
I have always maintained that barbless hooks are as important for the fisherman and those around him as they are for the fish. I bet I've buried a hook in my arm/finger/ear etc dozens of time, probably way more over the years, and out they come easy as pie. They do cost a fish at times but no big deal.

This is an impressive post; it is especially meaningful for beginners, but it is also a powerful message for all fly fishermen/women/youngsters...well said, dryflie.