FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 20th, 2018, 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: River drifts
PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 5:53 am 
FFIMer

Can anyone recommend any good drift boat/kayak/canoe drifts. I got a flycraft for Father's day and really want to put some good miles on it. I'm in central Maine, so was thinking within 1 hr of Augusta. It's pretty versatile, it's rated for class 2. Was hoping for someone to point a newb in the right direction.

I have always been a wade fisherman, and this is causing me to think outside my box. It's embarrassing to think I don't know how to even fish lakes....

www.flycraftusa.com

Post subject: Re: River drifts
PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

Solon is a good intro and Evergreen runs shuttles.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm 

Other good Kennebec floats include Bingham (put in a above Route 16 and take out down in the impoundment above the Williams Dam), Shawmut (if the work on the launch has been completed), and the Forks (put in at the Ballfield in the Forks, take out at the Caratunk launch at the top of Wyman Lake).

For shad, stripers, or smallmouth, the float from Waterville to Sidney or Waterville to Augusta is good.

Lots of good floats over on the Androscoggin, too, though I don't know any of them well enough to make specific suggestions.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 8:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Other good Kennebec floats include Bingham (put in a above Route 16 and take out down in the impoundment above the Williams Dam), Shawmut (if the work on the launch has been completed), and the Forks (put in at the Ballfield in the Forks, take out at the Caratunk launch at the top of Wyman Lake).

For shad, stripers, or smallmouth, the float from Waterville to Sidney or Waterville to Augusta is good.

Lots of good floats over on the Androscoggin, too, though I don't know any of them well enough to make specific suggestions.

The Andro float from Gilead to Bethel is a good one. There was a guy who owned a motel and campground in Gliead who ran a shuttle service.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 9:06 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Other good Kennebec floats include... Shawmut (if the work on the launch has been completed)....

As of a week ago, no effort had been made to finish up the boat launch project. That makes at least a month that Maine DIFW’s erosion control system (which is currently stretched across the launch) hasn’t been in working order.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 12:08 pm 
FFIMer

all the above floats are great ones for beginners that are local. The solon to north anson is a good one because there is usually current most of the way and fish scattered all through there. I will second the waterville to sidney trip as there are still quite a few shad in the river and the stripers have shown up.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 8:09 am 
FFIMer

Thanks, that add a couple of new ones that I have not kayaked. I have done Solon, and used the shuttle, and have done the Andro from Gilead to Bethel. Both are fantastic trips. Had those on the agenda.

I like the looks of the Forks, and the Bingham trips. The take out spots will require some more homework though.

My inlaws are in Benton, do you put in near the Mcdonalds under the bridge somewhere for the Sidney trip.

Isn't there a Shawmut access from Benton side? Where is the best take out on that stretch?

Any additions on take out would be helpful.

thanks

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 9:11 pm 

There is a carry-in launch on the Waterville side at the old Hathaway site, just below the Lockwood Dam. A trailered launch downstream in Waterville. You can also carry in at Halifax Park in Winslow, though that is more work than the Waterville options.