FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pour a sip
PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 12:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

just seeing on the Facebooks that AJ Campbell has passed.......

never had the pleasure of meeting him, but he and i were facebook friends for years......seemed like a guy i would have wanted to share a beer or a pool or a boat with......

Post subject: Re: pour a sip
PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 1:35 pm 
FFIMer

A.J. was one of the most approachable folks about bamboo and vintage tackle, you will be missed at Superboo, Eldredge Bros Fly Fishing Fest and because you were a fine gentlemen, rest well that perfect lie is just around the bend, thoughts and condolences to his family.
banjo

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 9:37 am 
FFIMer

This board is not heavily invested in bamboo rods or classic fly fishing tackle so many may not know who A.J.Campbell was. In 1997 he wrote "Classic and Antique Fly fishing Tackle". This book was one of the first attempts to introduce the general public to the classic bamboo rod makers and their contribution to the sport of fly fishing. A.J. lived in Boothbay Harbor. He was a regular at "Superboo", a meeting in Fairfield ,Maine of bamboo fly rod lovers. He could not make it this year but last year his table consisted of a dozen or so classic cane rods made by Thomas, Edwards and Paine which carried the label "Kosmic". He was always willing to look over the bamboo rods brought in by Superboo guests and tell them what they had.

Perhaps with this short acknowledgement, if you're sitting around camp and the name A.J.Campbell comes up, you will be familiar with it.

If you go to the site called "Classic Fly Rods" and click on "forum announcements" and go to the thread "A.J. Campbell has passed" there are several pictures posted.

The next time you're on the river and fish are rising for everything but your fly it might just be A.J. messing with you. It would be just
like him.
Good luck on your trip A.J.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 12:18 pm 
FFIMer

Actually hatch I’m surprised at the lack of posts since A.J. shared a place with Jeff Knapp the past 4 years at least at Superboo. While all that attend aren’t necessarily involved with ffim enough there are.
banjo

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
FFIM-aholic

A great loss, amazing man.

Kat and David

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 9:01 am 
FFIM Addict

I did not know AJ, though do own his book. The world has lost a fine gentleman and major knowledge base on all things boo. My regards to his family.