FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 19th, 2018, 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New LLB returns
PostPosted: June 8th, 2018, 9:58 pm 
FFIMer

I was fishing my favorite river a few weeks ago with a LLB Pocket Water reel when the drag let loose on it. I pulled it apart and checked the internals.... a broken tension spring on the click drag. The real was useless, as it was free spooling and backlashing. I bought the reel 4 or 5 years ago... I don't know exactly, as I do not have the receipt. I went to the returns desk hoping to get nothing more then a new spring. Since I did not have the receipt they basically said too bad. I pushed for them to do anything, I'm not about to throw a reel away over a $0.50 spring. I asked if they could order a spring and I would pay for it. Nope, they do not have a parts list or the ability to order parts. I asked if they could send it out to be repaired. The cashier was hesitant to do that, but after a little more pushing she found an option in the computer for drag repair. She did not know if they had the parts, where it was going, if it could be fixed, or how long it would take. That was almost a month ago, and I finally got a call back today. They were able to fix it and its being shipped back to me free of charge. I asked if I could purchase additional springs to keep on hand as it would take 30 seconds to fix. They had one left, and they threw that in. They would not let me pay for it.

Overall I'm happy with how things turned out, but I still do not think I will buy more LLB gear, especially bigger ticket items, it was fine before the policy change when I knew I was buying lower quality stuff, but could easily exchange it if something happened. Now not so much, I guess I'll fork over a little more cash for better quality going forward.

I should have it back in my hands by Wednesday, a little late, but in working order.

Peter

Post subject: Re: New LLB returns
PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 5:23 am 
FFIMer

Ouch! that's not what I wanted to hear, especially about the difficulty getting the reel repaired. I'm hoping they work the kinks out of this new policy. It seems strange that customer service wouldn't know about the repair policy.

I won't knock dear old LL as they have always been a good option for my outdoor gear and have treated me very fairly over the years. I will however inquire about repairs on all my hard goods from now on before I purchase them. I most likely will begin to request the "email receipt" option from now on so that I will have a receipt when I need one.

Thanks for the update on how things work over there now.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 6:59 am 
FFIMer

I took a watch back to LL Bean with a chipped crystal. NOT looking for a return, but to get repaired and PAY for the repair. They sent the watch out and 2 weeks later I get a call that they no longer have replacement crystals (got the watch in 2014). I told the repair lady in that case I think they should replace the watch. At that point she told me either she sends the watch back to me or she would throw it away. I had it sent back to me. At that point I called customer service and explained that I only use the watch for fishing (waterproof) and a chipped crystal would probably leak. I think in this situation they should replace the watch that they cannot repair. I was given several levels of customer service, a few told me they would call me back which they didn't. After calling them back a couple of times a supervisor told me that she understood the problem, but could do nothing due to policy. I told her that a supervisor is in a position to work with the policy in different situations. In my mind they no longer need supervisors to make decisions, as everything now is cut and dry. I felt as though because they couldn't repair a 3 or 4 year old watch they should replace it, maybe I'm wrong but I'll never do business with LL Bean again.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 10:04 am 
FFIM Addict

I was always bewildered by the old Bean return policy. It seemed to me to be completely whacked.

Broken tent pole, we can't give you a replacement pole, we need to give you a brand new tent.

Leaking waders, same type not in stock but you can get the next higher priced version if you pay extra. Don't want to pay extra, tough, we'll give you a credit. Try wading in a "Credit".

The new policy seems to make more sense, it just totally sucks.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 10:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

This was exactly my point back during the initial hubbub. I don’t need a new item, especially for free when I used up the old one. But I would like some help to repair something that still has some use left.

I understand people took advantage of the policy, but I think the policy also made LL BEAN lazy, and without process for paid repairs... which they are going to have to figure out. There has to be a way to own something for many years.

HMH is a great example. A vice can last for life, and for minimal cost, twice they have returned my vice like new.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 2:47 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I agree, mediocre merchandise no longer warrantied with no option for repair equals an easy buying decision for me: no thanks.
I fail to see how they improve their bottom line with the new policy without creating a repairs department or contracting one out. Most people would pay for reasonable repair.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2018, 6:37 am 
FFIM Addict

Last month I brought in a pair of their branded smith sunglasses. Bought 3 years ago. I had the box, the little baggie, the receipt. The glasses were used for driving only and the nose pieces were falling off. When I tried to exchange them, the guy said “you are correct these have a lifetime warranty, but what do you really think the lifetime of a pair of sunglasses should be”?” I told him 4 years, and give me a new friggin pair!!! Not doing business there anymore, no real need.

Cabelas is closer for me, and their branded stuff is a lifetime guarantee and they ask zero questions. On their non branded stuff they are really good too. Never get questioned.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2018, 10:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

Yup... I think there is going to be a glaring need on how to handle this new situation on the front line. It isn't going to be spontaneous, or happen by luck, there is going to be a significant training need.

Example - If those glasses were Maui Jim's, you would get free nose pad repairs for life, free frame replacements if they broke and free temples for life and you could order new lenses for $60 installed, basically making them new glasses. (from memory, but give or take)

I really want to to see Beans thrive, and I understand totally why they made this change, but they are going to have to invest a little more, especially in the customer facing functions, before the gains are realized. This does become an issue with white labeling though, they have no stock or inventory of parts or experience....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 11th, 2018, 11:06 am 
FFIMer

Exactly. I really do like Beans, and like their products, but they need to offer more then just "sorry, you're out of luck". I do not disagree with them changing the policy, but a lot of LLB's products are not worth the price in this super competitive market without the warranty, or the ability to get items fixed.
There's a reason why almost every single hunting and fishing item I own is LLB, and that's mostly because the warranty....

Imagine the money LLB could have saved over the years by simply offering parts to customers for DIY repairs. Or if they had a small repair shop onsite... I bet that would add up to millions pretty quickly.

I will still by some items there, but I will be doing A LOT more shopping around beforehand.

Peter