FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tying Flies
PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 10:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

I hate tying flies or flying ties, whatever it is. But I've got to do it, low on Caddis and BWO's and a trip where Yellow Sallies are needed and I've never tied a one. But I have a question for all you pros out there. Is it OK if I only tie 10 of each size/pattern or perhaps 20 instead of the mandated dozen or two??

And just WTF is it with the 25 hooks in a package?? That number makes no sense.

Anyway I'm tying 10's of flies.

Post subject: Re: Tying Flies
PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 6:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

I agree totally... not on the enjoyment part because I quite like that, but on the requisite dozen or half dozen, etc. I know the value of having several of the same thing thing, In case that is the hot fly... but I have no idea why were all feel like we need to have the sacred 12 vs. the very functional 10.

Also, wouldn’t life be easier if there were 100 mins in an hour? The math would just make more sense.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 6:57 am 
FFIM Addict

As I tie a lot of flies I seldom buy hooks in the 25 packs......unless it’s a real specialty hook. The 100 packs are much more efficient.

As I understand it Umpqua/Tiemco no longer sells the 100 packs........they’ve gone to selling 125 packs.......packaged in five packs of 25.........rather than in one pack of 100 hooks. And, for the record, while I love TMC’s, the prices have gone into the stratosphere. Daiichi’s are just as good, still sell in packs of 100, and are a helluva lot less expensive. Win, win for us tiers.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 7:21 am 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
As I tie a lot of flies I seldom buy hooks in the 25 packs......unless it’s a real specialty hook. The 100 packs are much more efficient.

As I understand it Umpqua/Tiemco no longer sells the 100 packs........they’ve gone to selling 125 packs.......packaged in five packs of 25.........rather than in one pack of 100 hooks. And, for the record, while I love TMC’s, the prices have gone into the stratosphere. Daiichi’s are just as good, still sell in packs of 100, and are a helluva lot less expensive. Win, win for us tiers.

Dave M

I agree Dave.. I stopped buying TMC a few years ago, although I switched to Dia-Riki. There have been tons of hook manufacturers coming out latley, most of them seem to be "super premium" and the price reflects that, $10 or $12 for 25... seems insane to me but people buy them up.

As for the tying, I enjoy some of it and disparage other parts of it. I haven't tied anything in months, mostly because my boxes can't possibly fit even one more fly. Although I might tie some spinners this week, I have never tied them before and think they might come in handy this weekend.

Peter

PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 8:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

I'm with dryflie, I really don't enjoy the prospect of tying but I can get into the process fairly well once I commit to doing it. Unlike most, I do not tie in the winter as I am someone who requires motivation for activity, and my motivation for tying is catching fish. Not much of that in the winter, in addition to being consumed by snowboarding.
I tie in-season, depending on what I need; which isn't much. I catch plenty of fish on a dozen or so patterns, a few in each category. Sometimes a new pattern will bump an old one, but rarely will compliment.
The reason for 25 packs? You gotta have a baker's dozen for all those times when an even dozen isn't enough...and I never get a dozen of anything tied in one sitting.
Edited to add: when fishing is hot, however, I will often tie every night until the action drops off.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 12:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I only tie saltwater now- can't see and I can buy better flies than I can tie. I no longer care about the satisfaction of catching a fish on a fly I tied. My saltwater patterns are limited to about 5. My clousers are different and I think better for where I fish and the striper bugger, no called " simple pig" is pig simple and deadly effective. Hunter- Please post picture.

As for buying flies, I try to buy on shore if I can, but not always possible.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

Christ, I hardly even fish anymore, let alone tie flies.