FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 8:22 am 
FFIM Addict

As T/Rs are concerned, All things considered, I rather be in GLS. (Sorry W.C. Fields)

I expect you have not noticed, but I haven’t been boring with weekly trip reports- instead, I will bore BIGGER with a total spring report.

The Opener I have written here about, so leap forward to late April.

Water at GLS this year has been a mess...typically, the level runs high for April and drops in late April or May. This year, huge water continues even now. Over the last 3 weeks, levels were +700 CFS dropping down to 615+/- CFS for the first weekend of June. Ths makes waders too short, or my legs not tall enough. On the other hand, I think the age old question of do salmon come UP the river is answered, and the higher flows have caused a good run this spring.

Starting in April, I have been down to GLS each weekend...and yes, I am married. That unbroken stretch is over now, but it was good while it lasted. Much of April was spent freezing and not catching anything except a cold. We tied as much as we fished.

Then came May. May in the dam pool was better, and as many of you know, the fish were well schooled and wary. STill, one could plan on catching a few good fish each morning or night. The Floating Smelt was enjoyable, yet ineffective in many cases. I still threw it most often.

The Stud Mill road opened somewhere in there, and I was pleased to see when I crossed onto it from Great Pond that it had been graded. A graded dirt road is a gift from heaven, and I spritely flew across the sands...sometimes exceeding the speed of prudence. To Fletcher’s Field I went--boldly...probably singing a Viking song...onto the road toward GLS, and while a smaller road, it too had seen grade-idge. Blithely, I flew…. Sadly, unbeknown to me, some god of the law of unintended conseguences had been setting me up. I had become lulled...inattentive to the possibility that the road COULD fall to **** in a bucket at any point.

Upon cresting a hill at Sulu speed, I came in contact with a rather unsettling washout...it was out of the view from the driver’s seat as I came to this crest...and by the time I took notice...my head had hit the roof. Things were bouncy for a time, and my mighty steel steed bucked and groaned- and even muttered...as I found depths of ruts and peaks of ledge to bounce off from. Ouch.

I survived, as did the product from Toyota. I slowed down.

I am quite sure this was a weekend we boated the river at the bottom estuary. It was popular, and we never were really alone there as others also know that the salmon stage and run UP...the fishing was often excellent in a 100 yard area, but baren in the next few hundred yards….as we could watch our streamers in the clear water, we could see as many as 4-5 fish chase at the same time- which is cool-and intense. As always, I got outfished each trip by Parker, which does not make me feel bad any more.

Then came the weekend before Memorial day...which we see as the most busy crowd weekend of the year. Along with the exceptionally well behaved people from colorful license plate states, came an equally welcome crop of black flies- neither of which knew what personal space boundaries are. The fishing was good, but very hard as we were all mostly on one side of the river- but local knowledge did give we taller people a chance to cross in 3 spots in the length of the river...and , if one is at least 6’1”, and pulls their waders up as high as possible (think Mickey Mouse voice high), one could cross. I found the KEY to crossing was to turn around when the knuckles of my hands-while clinging to the top of my waders with dred intent- got wet, I only had about ½ an inch left of dryness before the LARGE hole at the top of waders comes into play.

I fished the Meadow- as always, and could have fish on occasion. None on top, no Hendrickson’s yet, and I avoided the dam and the Picnic area. Some bass were in, but not too many. We filled camp, and had food well cooked by Gussa, Dad fought the bugs to sit out front and discuss with semi-willing walkers by all the weight of the world events, and it was good to be at GLS.

Memorial Day, as always, I get Friday off. And, as always, I started...nope- I started in the dam pool. There were people there, but the fish were willing to come up for spinners...I had a killer good time.

All day Friday- went the length of the river...but again, the water was high for us. The friends arrived again, and we fished as well as we can- and Parker did well. I napped each day...and had a beer at select times. The younger brother came on Monday as we were leaving...he had 3 days off, and HE hit the Hendricksons on the nail. Fishing was exceptional. Turdhead.

And finally, this first weekend of June...the caddis have arrived. The dam pool if both filled with fish stacked up waiting for the fishway to open, and fishermen, who are stalking them. The fish all have PHDs in fly identification, and I expect most by now have a preference for which wading boots they like the looks of most. I, too, was in the dam pool on occasion. Watched some real good casters work that water, and also saw some people who were good fishermen...sadly, these two groups are often not the same people.

The water came down enough that I can cross in front of camp. I could not cross if I were shorter by even an inch...but it was worth it. The rise was on when the wind was down, and I fished with a singing joy in my heart...or heartburn- I don’t know which… AT dusk, the caddis were fabulous...but I spent one morning at the meadow...and saw only 1 salmon in the Beaver House pool...but landed 17 bass...and yes, I am a willing bass catcher when the hens will take- they fight like bulls. But the signs are there...the run up is near over, and even in the Picnic area the salmon numbers are way down. Chubbs have been caught there...the kiss of death for a expectation of big numbers in the lower river.

Western Maine is now the area we move toward...or the Salt. Soon, Montana...blessed Montana. Which reminds me I have to tie some flies…

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 9:10 am 
FFIM Addict

Very nice TR Hutch.

The water, as I read the USGS site, came into my personal wading area yesterday.......so in a week I’ll be spending ten glorious days of June up there soon. The fishway will......I hope......still be closed, so per chance there may still be a few Landlocks around to put a bend in the rod.

It certainly has seemed to be more than a bit weird that the entire state is howling for water.......and GLS has for most of us that are under 6’ 1” unwadeable, and running two to even three times normal flows.

Glad to hear you’ve done at least moderately well.

Dave M

PS: On the Montana front the MO is at historically high levels.....hopefully it drops significantly in the next six weeks, or we’ll be renting drift boats.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 1:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ah... drift boats....

With house lot clearing and wedding planning, my ark has spent time locked away in solitary barn confinement. It probably won’t see sunlight until after the wedding at this point.

The good news: while working on the house lot, I’ve been hearing AND seeing stripers splashing at bait. While meeting with the wedding planner, tent staff, electrician, fiance and others before work this morning, for instance, there were fish literally rolling 30 feet off the wedding ceremony site. <For those attending or officiating the wedding- you know who you are, bring a saltwater rod, and or boat. The 2011 spawn was a good one, and the big year class being fished this year.>

Anyway- while I have made it out the Airline this year (bird dog training), I haven’t turned north towards the Studmill or points further afield since last fall. I’m hoping to come up for air before diving into building the new house, but know that’s not likely to happen. At least the boat will be there, if I can find time to use it.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 3:07 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
Ah... drift boats....

With house lot clearing and wedding planning, my ark has spent time locked away in solitary barn confinement. It probably won’t see sunlight until after the wedding at this point.

The good news: while working on the house lot, I’ve been hearing AND seeing stripers splashing at bait. While meeting with the wedding planner, tent staff, electrician, fiance and others before work this morning, for instance, there were fish literally rolling 30 feet off the wedding ceremony site. <For those attending or officiating the wedding- you know who you are, bring a saltwater rod, and or boat. The 2011 spawn was a good one, and the big year class being fished this year.>

Anyway- while I have made it out the Airline this year (bird dog training), I haven’t turned north towards the Studmill or points further afield since last fall. I’m hoping to come up for air before diving into building the new house, but know that’s not likely to happen. At least the boat will be there, if I can find time to use it.

Do you Switch take Spey to be your lawful obsession? I do.....

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 6:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Ah... drift boats....

Do you Switch take Spey to be your lawful obsession? I do.....

There was a suggestion to mad lib vows...

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 8:53 pm 
FFIMer

Always a great read Hutch, and a few laughs!!!