FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 9:52 am 
FFIM Addict

All........

I floated a favorite section of the K yesterday with a good friend. The water was down.......as in WAY down, lower than I’ve personally ever seen it on that section of 5he river, and I’ve been floating it for the last 25 years or so.

A sparse hatch of Olives did come off, and a few, as in VERY few trout and Landlocks came up to eat, but the major story was the wind. As we all know (very well......probably too well) wind is the enemy of flyfishers, and specifically dry fly fishers.

It was blowing a steady 25 to 30 mph........gusting to 40. Virtually impossible to cast with any accuracy in 30 to 40 knot winds.

Surprisingly, given the awful conditions, we did fairly to moderately well.

Only a few trout and LL’s to the net during the day, but the wind died down to a quite reasonable 10 to 15 knots at evening time, and we proverbially “ kicked ass and took names” then......all on #14 Biot BWO Sparkle Duns.

Mostly Landlocks to about a chunky and spunky 16”. Nothing big, and no Rainbows, or Smallmouth, but a good mix of a nice BrookIe, a couple of stocked Browns, and a good amount of Landlocks.

Nothing better than a great day floating a wonderful section of a nice river, good friends, and dry fly fishing, and cooperative trout and LL’s.

Could the conditions have been better? Absolutely. Could the hatch have come off better? Surely. Could the trout and LL’s have been bigger? Yup......

But given the abhorrent conditions we had a wonderful day.

It certainly was nice to put a bend in the Winston after taking the collar last week. A double digit day in those conditions has to be considered extraordinary.

As much as I like all types of flyfishing, dry fly is my favorite. I broke the cherry on my new Hardy reel which was nice, too.

We certainly do need rain, though. The K has dropped from 30,000 to 2000 in a month. Yikes!

Get out there if you can....Maine Fishing doesn’t get ant better than June.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 4:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

It blew like stink at the WB yesterday. Very few bugs came. Ended up being forced to nymph fish, but caught a corker of a salmon. Couple of smaller fish cam swinging in the morning. Nice day. tried for sahd in Veazie on the way home, but no joy. Back at the striped ones in about 2 hours.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 5:15 pm 
FFIMer

I worked around the house until mid afternoon yesterday since the wind was blowing so hard but I figured it would lay down, headed out to catch the evening fun. But the wind never did stop blowing and it was hardly worth getting my gear wet :lol: Looks like today was much of the same with the high pressure winds. Rain on the way for Monday night.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 8:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

Today way south used the wind to my advantage. Caddis were the target most of the afternoon. They were having a tough time getting airborne tumbling because of the breeze. Held my rod high with a down river presentation allowed the wind pick my line and skitter a Vermont Hares Ear dry. You knew when the fish took. Great couple of days.

Ron

Sir John Buchan