FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 21st, 2018, 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishin Up North
PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 12:12 pm 

On Friday I made my first fishing trip of the season up to the North Maine Woods - I visited 3 streams in the uppermost reaches of the Penobscot watershed - one was an old favorite, one was a new stretch of a stream I had fished before and the other was a rank wildcat - they were what I'd call medium to small streams and all had very different, pleasing personalities - unfortunately, all of them were considerably lower and warmer than they usually are at this time of year, but they still fished well - as usual, I had all of them to myself and only one of them had any signs of being visited recently - the stream I ended the day on was as pretty as any stream I've fished in Maine - the entire stream bed was a solid sheet of sculptured blue shale and it was full of very fishy pocket water - the fish in that stream were unusually non-committal - they would rise to and flash at my flies but hookups were tough - I think it may be because the water temp had reached 72* by that point in the day - muddlers & buggers fished on my 6.5', 3wt were the best producers - wildlife was kinda sparse - I only saw 2 moose and no bears, but I'm sure the heat & sunshine had a little to do with that...at any rate it was one of those quintessential northern Maine days kicking about in the woods and streams - hopefully I'll get a few more in before things heat up for good...Tight Lines!

Attachments:
stream 2.JPG
stream 2.JPG [ 105.84 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]
stream 1.JPG
stream 1.JPG [ 110.78 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]
brookie.JPG
brookie.JPG [ 73.63 KiB | Viewed 926 times ]

Post subject: Re: Fishin Up North
PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 2:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Nice fish and cool geology.... 72 degrees on Memorial Day? How is that possible? Has the air even been that warm this spring? Definatley not on the free time of this weekend warrior. :D

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 9:57 pm 

TGIF, I know it's hard to believe but I think it was a combination of: the stream slides off the top of a shallow pond, a couple days of hot, dry, windy weather, most of the state's (free-flowing) streams are at between 1/3 and 1/2 of their "normal" flows and the stream flows thru a large amount of unshaded, rocky streambed - I might be bass fishing before I know it...
Another bit of irony - after Brookfield held back all that water, then let it blast, the upper West Branch of the Penobscot was as low as I remember seeing it on Memorial Day weekend - go figure...

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 6:00 am 
FFIM-aholic

Wow! That is remarkable! I would suspect the large surface area of a shallow pond is the culprit. First trip to Maine this weekend for CFR... excited to get back to the stomping grounds.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 10:13 am 
FFIM Addict

brian foley wrote:
I might be bass fishing before I know it...

Well, unfortunately- in addition to the confirmation of LMB in the Lewey's Lake/Grand Falls Flowage by MEDIFW last year, I'm hearing rumors that there have LMB caught in three headwater lakes to the Machias River system, and know that LMB eDNA was recovered from Syslodobsis Lake (tributary to West Grand Lake, meaning they're in WGL now too). I suspect more lakes will be found to have been subject to bucket biologist intervention when folks head out to fish this year. :evil:

Regarding water temps- unwetted rock soaks up a lot of solar energy and acts as a heat source long after the sun sets. I'm guessing your water temps were largely influenced by the amount of exposed bedrock.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 5:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Regarding water temps- unwetted rock soaks up a lot of solar energy and acts as a heat source long after the sun sets. I'm guessing your water temps were largely influenced by the amount of exposed bedrock.

I'd guess it was the sun. Six easy words.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 7:05 am 
FFIMer

Nice little stream!

Are you going back to Labrador this summer?

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 10:29 am 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:

I'd guess it was the sun. Six easy words.

Ron

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 12:36 pm 

Thanks Northernfly, good to hear from you! I'll be heading thru your home town on Aug 19 & 31, to/from either northern Quebec or Labrador. Have a nice summer & tight lines!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 6:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hunter,
When I was home over Memorial day and mowing the lawn it was dry and rough as a cob. Normally Memorial Day week-end I'm finishing winter clean-up and rolling my lawn. This past week-end I may as well have tried to roll out the road as the lawn was just as hard. A month before I cleaned up what I could and figured things would be (once all the snow melted) prime for rolling. Dry enough to roll but moist enough to flatten. Far from it.

Now every time I come home I'll have to worry about the well.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 7:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Hunter,
When I was home over Memorial day and mowing the lawn it was dry and rough as a cob. Normally Memorial Day week-end I'm finishing winter clean-up and rolling my lawn. This past week-end I may as well have tried to roll out the road as the lawn was just as hard. A month before I cleaned up what I could and figured things would be (once all the snow melted) prime for rolling. Dry enough to roll but moist enough to flatten. Far from it.

Now every time I come home I'll have to worry about the well.

Ron

I know a good well driller if you find you need one.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 10:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
brian foley wrote:

Well, unfortunately- in addition to the confirmation of LMB in the Lewey's Lake/Grand Falls Flowage by MEDIFW last year, I'm hearing rumors that there have LMB caught in three headwater lakes to the Machias River system, and know that LMB eDNA was recovered from Syslodobsis Lake (tributary to West Grand Lake, meaning they're in WGL now too). I suspect more lakes will be found to have been subject to bucket biologist intervention when folks head out to fish this year. :evil:

I've always wanted to be an unwetted rock...

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 11:06 am 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
Hunter wrote:
brian foley wrote:

I've always wanted to be an unwetted rock...

You'd make a fine glacial erratic.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 11:33 am 
FFIM Addict

Ok then.....quick question for Hunter or anybody.

The entire state seems to be needing water........then why is Grand Lake Stream running at least twice what it normally should be on June 1st? Doesn’t seem to make sense to me. The stream just down the hill from my house is virtually bone dry. That didn’t happen in prior years until August.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 12:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

There is a lot of storage in the WGL and EGL systems. The dam owner is not overly active in managing gates, so I’d expect them to close it down, but not until the lake storage is substantially tapped. And then it will remain low until the rains come. They’re trying to maximize hydro production downstream before they’re forced to shut the turbines down due to inefficient flow ranges. But that’s just my guess.