FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 21st, 2018, 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Polaroids
PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 8:39 am 
FFIM Addict

All........

I had no idea when I started using polarizing sunglasses that the amber/brown lenses change the color that we see when we look at insects.

I was fishing the K one day about this time of year when both Hendrickson’s and Cornutas should have been hatching........like today.

About 2 pm size 14 Mayflies started hatching......right on time for the Hendrickson’s. Great.....right? I looked at tan Mayflies coming off and said to myself.......Allright, Hendrickson’s. I tied on a #14 Sparkle Dun Hendrickson and floated it through a bunch of feeding trout. I was fishing with my Buddy Sean, and floated a dozen casts that were virtually perfect 5hrough that pod of trout........and freaking nada. They didn’t even look at it. Both of us were perplexed.

I finally said Sean......I think they’re on Olives.

Tied on a #14 Olive Sparkle Dun and “bang”. Took several really nice Browns out of that pod.

Fast forward to later and we both took off our polaroids. We looked a t a few of the Mayflies without our amber glasses on.......and were stunned to find these weren’t tannish pink at all. They were olive. Putting the amber polaroids back on......and they changed color. I said ####. Damn it........?We now take off our polaroids to find the actual color of the hatching Mayflies.

If you’re ever in the situation where you’re pretty sure of the color.......take off your sunglasses and you may be very surprised. Just a heads up........as both Cornutas and Hendrickson’s May be hatching this weekend.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Polaroids
PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 8:23 am 
FFIMer

Lot's of egg bearing Hendrickson's filling the air yesterday before the rains..
:lol: We caught some and had a real good look,,with and with out the Polaroids