FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VT Report
PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 2:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Just spent five days banging around my old haunts in Addison County. No really big fish on dries ( a little early) but some respectable fish in the Otter swinging and some crazy stockie fests on the New Haven. The Vermont stocked fish are gorgeous- browns are very dark with big red spots and reddish tails. Bows are very heavily spotted and bright... I know, stockies, but on a 7' 4 wt glass rod an 11" fish will give you a fight. I managed browns, rainbows, smallies, pike and a couple of chubs. The spey rod was a lot of fun.

I fished the White in some of my old law school haunts- river is very dramatically changed by Irene. I picked up some very respectable rainbows swinging a thin mint followed by a copper john soft hackle. 15" rainbow on the glass and it is off to the races.

Observations: In the Town of Middlebury there are two competing guide services. When I lived there, there were zero fly guides. Good time, fun fishing with my friends and their kids also.

Post subject: Re: VT Report
PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 5:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice report. I used to carry a VT license every year.
Prior to Irene, The White River in the Bethel area was one of my favorite places to fish when I travelled to that area (grew up in Woodstock). Specifically, the stretch just below the Atlantic Salmon hatchery (which was destroyed by Irene). There was a discharge from the hatchery of constant cold water, keeping that stretch cool right through August, and there were some pig browns and bows in there.
Irene changed all that! After a handful of attempts there post-Irene, with bad results, I haven't been back. The same for the Ottauquechee just to the west, it just hasn't been the same post-Irene.
Now when I'm back in Woodstock, I'll slip over the NH border to a dynamite little trout river that wasn't so dynamically changed by the big flood.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 7:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

maineangler wrote:
Nice report. I used to carry a VT license every year.
Prior to Irene, The White River in the Bethel area was one of my favorite places to fish when I travelled to that area (grew up in Woodstock). Specifically, the stretch just below the Atlantic Salmon hatchery (which was destroyed by Irene). There was a discharge from the hatchery of constant cold water, keeping that stretch cool right through August, and there were some pig browns and bows in there.
Irene changed all that! After a handful of attempts there post-Irene, with bad results, I haven't been back. The same for the Ottauquechee just to the west, it just hasn't been the same post-Irene.
Now when I'm back in Woodstock, I'll slip over the NH border to a dynamite little trout river that wasn't so dynamically changed by the big flood.

I was impressed with the quality of the fish in the White. Two of my stops were near bridges with the predictable stockies, but one stop was nowhere near a stocking stop. Fish were beautifully colored, hard fighting and had fins. There were ZERO bugs however on the lower river.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 10:11 am 
FFIMer

Titleguy, I am a VLS grad, too. Class of '82. Long time ago. Anyhoo, I used to fish the White a lot. Beautiful river. Haven't fished it in a long time, even though it is only a hour away. I have been out a few times this year. The Dog River continues to tease me. There are some incredibly nice wild browns in there, but boy are they hard to get. Did get a beautiful LL on a river I won't mention, but which anybody who knows anything about VT fishing can undoubtedly figure out. Heading to Maine this afternoon for a week+ of fishing. Yeah!

The opening on my net is 15 inches.

Attachments:
File comment: Dog River brown:
Dog River Brown2.jpg
Dog River Brown2.jpg [ 312.81 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 11:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice...... I was supposed to go to that river but ran out of time. VLS in '82 was not even ABA approved yet was it? Where are you fishing in Maine?

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 11:24 am 
FFIMer

VLS was fully accredited throughout my three years there. Anthony Doria had been ousted before I got there and Board member Tom Debevoise (Larry Rockefeller's lawyer) took over as Dean and got everything squared away. It was a pretty funky place, although there were some heavy hitters on the faculty like Grant Gilmore, former Sterling Professor of Law at Yale and author on much of the UCC. We called him The Grantor. When I visit there now I am amazed at how upscale the place is compared to when I was there.

Going to spend Memorial Day weekend in Rangeley with my better half, then she's heading back to VT on Monday and I am going to connect with one of my good friends from UMaine Orono days at his camp in the greater Moosehead region.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 12:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The White is highly scenic. Reminds me a lot of the big western freestones with the numerous long and elegant runs dumping into deep ledge-hemmed pools. Those hills around South Royalton, Bethel down to Sharon are relatively low but ridge tightly to the river and are fairly dramatic.
Back in school days, we floated down the river in tubes and stopped to jump off the ledges in and around Stockbridge. Some big leaps there.
Makes me want to fish it again 8)

PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 1:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

maineangler wrote:
The White is highly scenic. Reminds me a lot of the big western freestones with the numerous long and elegant runs dumping into deep ledge-hemmed pools. Those hills around South Royalton, Bethel down to Sharon are relatively low but ridge tightly to the river and are fairly dramatic.
Back in school days, we floated down the river in tubes and stopped to jump off the ledges in and around Stockbridge. Some big leaps there.
Makes me want to fish it again 8)

When I moved to SoRo in 1988, I snorkeled that pool under the bridge there- some BIG browns...