FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 27th, 2018, 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saltwater hatch!
PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 9:26 pm 

Well sort of...yesterday I headed way downeast to some of my favorite streams - at the first one I was greeted two geese and their 4 goslings but the stream was choked with alewives so no trout were caught there - funny thing was, very few eagles or ospreys were around - the next stream provided me with a lot of interesting observation/insights - typically i don't catch many salters/brookies below the head of the tide, but yesterday, I not only caught my first 9 fish below the HOT, but all the action seemed to be right at the leading edge of incoming tide, which came in visibly fast - there were several species of mayflies hatching above/below the HOT and there were fish rising to them - I have never seen this before - I believe most of the rising fish were AT salmon parr - while all this was going on 2 deer swam across the stream and proceeded to graze in the meadow below me - I continued to fish up stream to the flat water stretch where I usually turn around but I asked myself the question: Did I not come here to fish? So I headed upstream into aqua incognita and found some beautiful new water as well as some of the nicest fish of the day - I am always amazed at how a muddler brings up brookies out of hiding like no other fly! From there I headed off to another stream that is usually a prime early season spot - I paddled up into to an area that is rarely visited and soon realized the stream had already gone by - the water temp was 62*, all of the beaver dams were defunct and all I caught were chubs - on my way home I saw my first bear of the season - he was just standing on the side of the road about 12 miles east of Ellsworth watching the traffic go by...another great day of Maine spring brookie fishing - Tight Lines!

Post subject: Re: Saltwater hatch!
PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 10:26 am 
FFIM Addict

My fiance and I spent the day on Saturday chipping brush at our new house lot. After- we went down by the river and broke out the lawn chairs to celebrate someone's birthday, complete with a bottle of red wine. I kept hearing splashes- so watched the river for a bit. From the size of the swirls, it appears there are some linesiders around feeding on alewives.

'tis the season....

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 10:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

They were above the bridge on the ST. G on Saturday afternoon.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 12:39 pm 

Happy belated birthday, David - isn't that the day that you should be fishing? I'm already stoked for the stripers to arrive - hopefully the run in Orono is a bit stronger than it was last year..

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 1:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

brian foley wrote:
Happy belated birthday, David - isn't that the day that you should be fishing? I'm already stoked for the stripers to arrive - hopefully the run in Orono is a bit stronger than it was last year..

Thank you Brian.

I usually do fish on my birthday, but the redirection from fishing to snorkeling while in Cuba last year broke that streak (somewhere around year 20, too) and seems to have carried over to this year. No worries though. I'll have plenty of fishing days in my future once the new house is done.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 4:48 pm 

Brian, I have found that "fish feeding at the salt/fresh interface on a rising tide" situation several times in the last few years. On one Casco Bay tributary that is the only place/situation we have ever had volunteers catch brook trout, although follow-up electrofishing found them at several upstream locations where we have not been able to catch any.

In addition to the stripers, shad are here. Not sure they are up in Waterville, but two kids on bicycles were hammering them in the mouth of Cobbossee Stream last night.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Well, skeeters have had no issue hatching out of brackish water, intact, I find salt water mosquitos to be 10x worse freshwater ones. Maybe the same goes for mayflies?

Unless the stripers skipped a few hundred miles of coastline, one has to assume they are holdovers?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 7:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Unless the stripers skipped a few hundred miles of coastline, one has to assume they are holdovers?

I know that the few tag recaptures from the Kennebec steeper tagging program CCA-ME pushed a while back points towards our stripers wintering near Point Judith, RI and points in between. As far as early fish arrival times- running up river chasing river herring- the 2nd to 3rd week of May holds true from Kittery to at least as far east as the Penobscot. I honestly don’t believe the early arrivals are wintering in the Chesapeake or Hudson. Mid-winter striper bycatch in the smelt fishery were historically known- and fish in the Canadian Maritimes winter over- so read into that what you will. The latest I’ve caught a striper in Maine is December 24th, but then- I’ve never fished for them any later in the year than that.