FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 27th, 2018, 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you save the box?
PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 11:29 am 
FFIM Addict

My wife and I have been attempt to cull the clutter from over 40 years together, and one type of thing I have is the original packages things came in. For example, I got one of the last Made in England Orvis Battenkill Bar Stocks from FFO, and I still have the box. Most likely, somebody will just be selling this stuff after I'm gone. Is there a premium for offering something in the original package, even if it's not a true "collector's item"?

Post subject: Re: Do you save the box?
PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 11:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Yes.....absolutely. I had the boxes from every Hardy and Abel reel I’d ever bought when I lived in Lewiston. Somehow, during the move to Ellsworth those boxes disappeared. I wasn’t happy about that. Even after cleaning out the Lewiston house I never did find my Hardy JLH with the 6 wt. DT peach 444 line on it :-(. But I did find the damn box. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 3:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Having the original box might make a difference to some people and with some items. But honestly, In the case of used fly reels I doubt the box adds much to the value. After all the reels are going to be fished 99% of the time so the box is nice but incidental. I have a new never used Sal-Trout from the 50's in a brand new box and I bet the box does nothing for its value. Which ain't much anyway.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 3:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I think a collector would care, but I am more interested in my stuff going to someone who will use it more than look at it.

In the end, we are probably all destined to have our stuff sold at garage sales, by wives or kids for pennies on the $100. I have already told my wife who to call in the event she ever attempts to sell the stuff for what I told her I bought it for.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 5:40 pm 
FFIMer

It might, but not to me. If you are collecting a reel of which they made thousands of, what's the value of the the reel? You may have paid quote a bit for it years ago so is it worth more today? Who knows, but I can tell you that if you keep up with that notion you'll end up with a garage and basement like mine, full of stuff that is precious to me, but merely used gear to someone else. And a wife that crabs about all my stuff, lol.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 6:00 am 
FFIMer

Save the box and receipt down the line could add value to reel evan if it's used. I've seen boxes sold seperatley. I bought some flies and a signed book from the Dette's years ago. I saved everything, including the Avon box the flies came in and I was told having everything added value to the lot. Nice owing a little piece of fly fishing history.