FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 4:43 pm 
FFIMer

Ice out at Enchanted Pond 5/6/18 .Ice out at Grace and Parlin Ponds 5/7/18. This means all ponds in the area are out. Streams in the woods have slowed considerably. Kennebec and Dead rivers still very high. Ton of Partridge around. Saw three nice healthy deer the other day. Saw a couple of Moose in the process of shedding winter coats. Loons already on the pond. Frost coming out of the logging roads. I still didn't turn on the water at Grace Camps. Warm weather but I've been fooled before. It could be in the 20s before Memorial weekend.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 10:51 am 
FFIM Addict

Hatch, how has Little Enchanted stood up over the years. I last fished it over 30 years ago when the only way in was a trail from Spencer lake. We did bushwhack in from the north once carrying float tubes and camped overnight. Some beautiful Brookies in there at the time. That was a time when it was pretty much inaccessible but I wonder what's happened over the years.

We stayed at Grace Pond once in early May, again 30 years ago. Really old camps back then. Owners had a big dog named after the local mountain. I followed an old path through the woods to a high ledge overlooking the pond with a great view of the mountains to the south/west.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 11:50 am 
FFIMer

Dryflie, Little Enchanted is still fine fishing. There is a logging road and access to the pond is rocked off about a mile from the pond. I have a canoe there. During your stay at Grace 30 years ago the dog you refer to was "Coburn" named after the Mountain in the area. I was working there then. We've probably met. The rocky area with the view is called the ledges.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the update Hatch. Very helpful. You guys mentioned Little Enchanted. I was staying at the big pond when the plane didn't clear the trees at Little. Spent MANY hours walking there up the outlet........... Way before the other access. Those days Ruel and Hazel were there. FINE folks. I saw that their daughter died last year.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 3:30 pm 
FFIMer

Kennebeckid, If you remember Ruel and Hazel you're not that much of a kid anymore! That was in the 1960s? I think Vlad Vladimofe bought Bulldog camps from Ruel and Hazel and Darren Savage bought from Vlad and is there now. As I recall the little outlet stream from Little Enchanted flows surface and subsurface. At one point when it poked out of the ground there was a tin cup hanging on a tree so hikers could get drinks. I think it was about 3 miles from Big Enchanted to Little Enchanted pond on this trail. When you got up there you felt you had paid your dues. My canoe is not far from the downed airplane frame which is still on in the woods.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

I remember seeing the airplane shell years ago and thinking ...well no plane's going to get in AND OUT of here. Wrong. The year we bushwhacked in (maybe 90 or so) and launched our float-tubes we were sitting in the middle of the pond when a plane buzzed us. My buddy says...he's going to land... nay I thought...but we got out of the way as we heard him turning and approaching again. Sure enough he puts down and hits the brakes and lands. He jumped out with a sport, grabbed a canoe from the woods and they fished for an hour or so. No one was having any luck as the water remained too warm so he climbed back in the plane, pointed it, downwind, at Greenville and damn near crashed into the outlet at the far end. So they turned and headed upwind and made it safely off.

Last edited by dryflie on May 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 5:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

Vlad Vladimorv brought five Cecil Pierce fly rods to a Merrymeeting Bay TU meeting one Spring after Cecil had passed away. I bought my 8’. 6 wt.Garrison 212-E from him. He was quite a character. He was still running Bulldog Camps when we rode over there on the Jeep Trail from when Jackie and her husband were running the Blue Goose in Lewiston and still had Grace Pond Camps before Hatch bought them. Jackie and her husband lived on Brown Street in Lewiston at the time.
If I recall correctly his name was George? Rawson might have been their last name?
Dave M

PS: Most of the fly rods Cecil made were 7’ five weights, but he made a few 8’ six weights, and I well recall casting a 10 wt. that he made himself for a trip Atlantic Salmon fishing on the Kola Peninsula in Russia in the early 90’s. With a shooting head I easily threw the distance from his workshop right down onto Rt. 27........easily over 100 feet. That wasn’t my great casting......that rod was a freaking cannon. Cecil asked me if I thought it would get the job done on the Kola Rivers.......I just laughed, and said “Cec........I really don’t think you have anything to worry about”. Man, I miss that guy.

PPS: All Cecil’s reels were Hardy’s. He loved his Hardy St. John’s. I often wonder what happened to all those old beautiful Hardy’s.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 5:56 pm 
FFIMer

Hatch, you are right that I'm not much of a kid. I first met Ruel & Hazel about 1955 or so, and went there each year up and into the first year that they sold them. The guy they sold them to was NOT Vlad. The guy that bought them was a pilot, owned his 185, and owned the camps (Also, in the 60's stayed at your place on Grace Pd) only briefly before accepting a full time flying job with his plane in Canada, and selling to Vlad. I'm sorry that I don't remember his name although I stayed there a couple of times and he let me fly his plane (he was in it) because he knew I had my license too and owned a land Cessna 172. He was a fish out of water and really didn't want to run the camps, he just wanted to fly. I just loved Ruel and Hazel and the original main lodge that was there.

The walk to little is indeed 3 miles, and the stream does flow above and below ground, and I too remember the tin cup! I often walked in and was the first to take down Ruel's canoes that spent the winter in the trees there. Great pond. I made that walk back down the hill to the big pond often in the pitch dark and got to know it quite well indeed.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2018, 6:53 pm 
FFIMer

Hatch, you might enjoy this story. I once walked up to little with someone from "away" who knew little of the outdoors. Along the way, early on the walk while still near the inlet stream to Enchanted, there was an area where the beavers had harvested some trees evidently while there was still snow, because the remaining, chewed trunks, were about 4-5' high. He knew enough that these were beavers, but he remarked at how tall the remaining trunks were. I simply told him that this area was well known for it's HUGE beavers, and that they were often quite territorial and aggressive. He was quite alert and apprehensive thereafter. Another way to phrase it would be to say that he was scared to death on the way back in the dark!