FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAY. O/T. Help!
PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 11:38 am 
FFIM Addict

All.........

Our front lawn has been turned into a G/D war zone by I don’t know what. Skunks?

The sod was completely turned over. I just spent a good hour raking it all up......getting chewed on by armies of black flies. I never had this problem n Lewiston. It’s being done at night......so I don’t believe it’s Turkeys. Any idea on what’s doing this, and I guess more importantly, how to stop it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave M

PS: As our well is under the front lawn my wife has outlawed any chemicals. I used to have a great lawn by using Scott’s turf builder and weed and feed, but that appears to be a “no-go” here. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: WAY. O/T. Help!
PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 12:01 pm 

My guess would be crows or skunks digging for grubs (Japanese Beetle larvae) - I just noticed the same problem downta camp...
You gotta kill the grubs - the predators can actually hear them digging.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 12:07 pm 
FFIM Addict

Grubs bring the Crows, Ravens, skunks etc. Get a good grub killer and use it every year. If it's crows or ravens get a plastic owl or two and hang it in the middle of the lawn. I've been through this a couple of times.

Last edited by dryflie on May 8th, 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 12:12 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Grubs!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 2:00 pm 
FFIMer

Killing the grubs is the only answer.

However, do not use insecticides with Neonicotinoids. They are in the class of chemicals that have been associated with Bee death (colony collapse disorder, etc.) and are very harmful to invertebrates and present a hazard to aquatic species too. It has been banned in most Western European countries and many US counties. Check on the bag of stuff you want to buy to see if the active ingredient is in this class. I believe that Grubex is not a Neonicotinoid, but like all the "season long" products they take several months to really be effective. If you need quick action, buy a product that kills grubs quickly instead. Personally, I have found that spot treating the impacted area with a "quick kill" product (and re-seeding if needed) is the most efficient solution.

"Natural" controls are problematic in the Northeast. The most commom product, Milky Spore (B. thuringiensis), takes years to really be effective, but is killed off in low temps. The other option, Nematodes, are very expensive and also have to be applied every year as they do not survive our cold winters.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 2:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

Change your soil pH through liming (not much help for this year- but may help in the future).

https://www.hunker.com/13406614/how-to- ... kill-grubs

Edited to add- you've likely got a skunk problem. I has similar a few years ago prior to my neighbor killing 8 skunks. No issues since. I did, however, nearly eradicate a large stand of Japanese knotweed (pigs are great at this) on which the bugs were heavily feeding in the interim- and that may have been a factor in reducing the grub population. Also- liming may not actually kill the grubs- but may encourage the grass to grow deeper roots and therefore be better prepared to withstand a grub infestation.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm 
FFIMer

We have a TON of grubs at our place here in Brunswick, and occasionally have issues with skunks, but usually only in the fall. I do spray a few times a year, but it's for ticks and ants.... they are even worse then the grubs. I just let the grubs be to not use any more chemicals.
We actually had problems very early this spring with something(squirrels?) Burrowing under the snow bank on top of our flower garden to dig up and eat most of the bulbs. This was in early March when I noticed the holes dug in the snowbank. They made several nests and rooted up a lot of grass around the raised bead also.

Peter

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm 

When this happened to us it was Japanese beetle larvae, and the crows turning over the sod. A bunch of houses and hayfields in our area had the same problem for a couple of seasons, and the Japanese beetles were hell on my garden for two seasons, and then the problem seems to have gone away, for both me and my neighbors.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 7:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
When this happened to us it was Japanese beetle larvae, and the crows turning over the sod. A bunch of houses and hayfields in our area had the same problem for a couple of seasons, and the Japanese beetles were hell on my garden for two seasons, and then the problem seems to have gone away, for both me and my neighbors.

They ate everything but....... they'll be back.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 11:28 am 
FFIMer

Harvest all the grubs. Put 'em in the fridge so they will last. Put all of your flies and tying material in the closet. Buy some bobbers.

:twisted: :D

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 10:54 am 

Dave is a right angle nympher. He's got the bobbers. :D

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 11:16 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Dave is a right angle nympher. He's got the bobbers. :D

Jeff has got that right. Of course, with the EO rocking out at over 12,500 as we type I haven’t even wet a line yet. Bingham, last I looked was at 17,000 and the ‘Mut at 27,000.......so perhaps I’ll take up Golf before putting those TMB’s to good use. :-(

Dave M