FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 27th, 2018, 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water on the move
PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 2:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

SEBOOMOOK DAM is releasing 17600 CFS heading toward Rip lake and the West Branch. Rip is very low, perhaps 20 feet down, so this might just fill it hopefully without too much overflow.

Post subject: Re: Water on the move
PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 8:04 pm 

Typical Brookfield. Minimum flow or a flood. Nothing in moderation.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 8:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Typical Brookfield. Minimum flow or a flood. Nothing in moderation.

Jeff, this time I believe the issue was resurfacing work on Rip Dam so therefore the big drawdown. They've got to refill a 20 foot deficit.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 9:56 pm 
FFIMer

The wildlife is waiting for you up there Al. We fished a couple hours in Big Eddy this past week and the deer were walking right around your site while we were in the water...campground looked great and Don hadn't even arrived yet!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 11:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

R-Factor wrote:
The wildlife is waiting for you up there Al. We fished a couple hours in Big Eddy this past week and the deer were walking right around your site while we were in the water...campground looked great and Don hadn't even arrived yet!

Well how did you do?? Quite early but I bet Streamers would work. No Don yet but Sarah is there getting things cleaned up. We'll do our normal Memorial Day Weekend and hope for decent weather.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 8:02 am 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
R-Factor wrote:

Well how did you do?? Quite early but I bet Streamers would work. No Don yet but Sarah is there getting things cleaned up. We'll do our normal Memorial Day Weekend and hope for decent weather.

Just a few hours of casting practice. :wink: I know some folks experience good action on the WB during April and early May, but I've never seen it myself. I've taken fish, but its typically hours between hits and extremely slow. An older friend of mine who lives in Millinocket has had some stellar days real early down below Abol in the past. One would think with the smelt run going on in Ambajejus, the entire river would be streamer city, but just not so in much of the river in April.
I suspect things will be rolling well by the time you get up here Al- travel safe.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm 

dryflie wrote:
Jeff, this time I believe the issue was resurfacing work on Rip Dam so therefore the big drawdown. They've got to refill a 20 foot deficit.

Always a reason, but with many fewer staff, and staff who are not present in the watershed, water management is a lot more haphazard these days. Never thought I'd wish for the good old days of Union Water Power and Kennebec Water Power and Great Northern, but when those folks had been operating the dams for a hundred years, they had a pretty good idea what to expect.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 10:42 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Always a reason, but with many fewer staff, and staff who are not present in the watershed, water management is a lot more haphazard these days. Never thought I'd wish for the good old days of Union Water Power and Kennebec Water Power and Great Northern, but when those folks had been operating the dams for a hundred years, they had a pretty good idea what to expect.

I agree. Today's economy means cost cutting, fewer staff, less maintenance etc. And hell we had more and bigger fish back in the day.