FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 3:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

April vacation is the giant killer...it kills the giant suck that was MARCH...and to say I look forward to the week off is a understatement. As posted before, She goes to florida for the week with her family, and i get to head to camp Friday with a dog or two. Shopping for red meat and beverages on the way, and we were safe at camp on the Cable pool by 6:30pm. Water was up some, but not killer high. Cold. The key to the week was temps, and it was cold- nasty cold. Snow and ice were common and , for the entire week, there was ONE sunny day…

The fishing was not bad...it was awful-the worst in my lifetime. Short story, there were NO fish in the river-and I walked the major areas and in the common spots that need to hold fish, none. The picnic area was bare, and the Tub will be a challenge for all you tubbers, as the pine at the top of the pool has dropped into the top area of the pool. The middle and bottom will still be reached, but that sweet small spot at the top is out. Crossing at this level is a function of luck and local knowledge- and a willingness to walk a LONG ways. The river has risen in the days since I was in the Tub...and crossing now will be difficult.

The ice on West Grand is not open to Munson’s island yet, but sheets are moving to the dam and launching a boat in clear water may find a iced in launch 4 hours later. Big lake looks dark, but also not ready to open at the launch. I had hopes, but the cold kept the lake closed to me.

As for the fishing. I fished each day- and most days I fished twice...morning and dusk. I did not touch a fish anywhere outside the dam pool, and even in the dam pool few fish blessed me. In the end of the week, I had landed fair 5 fish total. Most on top for the floating smelt. Streamers were dead to me.

I tied each mid-day, and ended with about 15 dozen tied, which isn’t as many as I expected. On the other hand, I did get 3 books read, and a few baseball games watched.

The animal life was exceptional..and 4 deer live in my yard. I saw the new beaver….who lives in the dam pool. I watched him sleep in a spot of sun for over an hour, and he is eating some serious trees on Middle Walk. Good luck.

I also saw coyotes and racoons, turkeys, ducks of every spice, and the stocked survivors in the channel- and there are more there than I thought.

The sad story is actually a good week, as all week long I was alone and happy. No rules, nobody to worry about, eat when and what I wanted, clean when needed, and nap each day.

With all this said, the fishing is right on the cusp- and I expect by next wednesday or thursday the ice will clear Big Lake, and the fishing will improve each day from bottom to top. With that in mind, we will be in camp next weekend- and the chairs are out for people to rest after fishing. Stop by.

Hutch

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 5:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

Nice TR. I was thinking of heading down there this week. After reading this I’m glad I didn’t. Another ten days and things should start to pop. Hopefully the water level will go down a few hundred cfs.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 1:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I was there yesterday playing with my new spey rod and helping someone learn how to cast. No fish were harmed... 782 cfs is a lot of water.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 2:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
I was there yesterday playing with my new spey rod and helping someone learn how to cast. No fish were harmed... 782 cfs is a lot of water.

Too much for my wading skills......or now these days, lack there of.

500 is about my limit.......and for where I like to wade at least, 400 is a helluva lot better.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 1:09 pm 

Hutch, that sounds like a fantastic vacation - 3 books and 15 doz. flies? That's more than I've been thru in the last 2 years! That's interesting concerning the fishing (catching) - the conditions this season have been as favorable as I've ever seen them in April, yet I've had the worst luck since I can remember and I've been hammering 7-8 dependable streams since the beginning of the month...like you said, things are gonna start popping any moment now...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 5:18 pm 

Brian, I was down in what I consider Foley country on small coastal brook trout streams last Saturday and saw colts foot in bloom . . . . Only in one spot, and I have not seen any more since, but it's a sign for sure. There was still quite a bit of snow back in the woods wherever the shade was heavy. I suspect most of that is now gone along the coast.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 6:37 am 
FFIM Addict

brian foley wrote:
That's interesting concerning the fishing (catching) - the conditions this season have been as favorable as I've ever seen them in April, yet I've had the worst luck since I can remember and I've been hammering 7-8 dependable streams since the beginning of the month...like you said, things are gonna start popping any moment now...Tight Lines!

Hard drought years do tend to thin the trout population in small streams, but then- they also tend to thin out the competition as well. The good news- the survivors, at least in my experience, generally grow a little larger without all the competition.