FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idaho?
PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 11:49 am 
FFIMer

Have a short business trip to Boise the first week of May. Will have 2 or 3 days after to explore and wet a line. My internet research says this time period might be before the spring runoff gets a head of steam. Read about the Payette, Boise, Salmon etc.

Anyone with personal experience?

Post subject: Re: Idaho?
PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 4:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have fished on and caught trout on the Boise river right in Boise. I know nothing about runoff timing...

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 6:41 am 
FFIM Addict

Two words: Silver Creek

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 3:40 pm 
FFIMer

Davw don't mean to be snarky but one word re: Silver Creek...closed. Most all of it is closed to fishing from much of April till late May.

However it looks like something we don't get to do much of here in the Northeast....a true spring creek with big picky trout.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 4:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yep. I always go in July. It’s the most fun you’ll ever have in flyfishing, but it’s only if you like tough, snooty trout, tiny bugs, but a lot of them. It’s never been closed when I’m out there.

I spent an entire week there a few years ago, and if it wasn’t so far away from where we fish in Montana I’d hit it every year. The toughest, most rewarding Fishing you’ll ever do.......but frustrating as all get out if you aren’t spot on with your imitation.

I would have said the Henry’s Fork, but that’s a helluva long way away from Boise. How close is the Owahee in eastern Washington? A Buddy of mine fishes there a lot......and says it’s every bit as good as any Blue Ribbon or Gold Medal water out there.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 12:50 pm 

These suggestions won't help for May but if you return to Idaho sometime in mid July, I would highly recommend heading up into the panhandle and exploring some of the river systems that drain the mountains to the west - the Selway, Lochsa, Clearwater & St Joe watersheds, just to name a few, along with all their tribs, offer drop dead scenery, free camping and enough water for you to have a stream valley to yourself, every day for a season - as a bonus there are a fair number of waters where anglers are encouraged to fry as many brookies as they want - if you decide on this option be sure to obtain a DeLorme Idaho Gazetteer well before you go and study it - Tight Lines!
BTW, a Stimulator is a great fly to use on those streams at that time...
Also, there are a fair number of hot springs up in those hills which can be fun too...

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 1:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
. How close is the Owahee in eastern Washington? A Buddy of mine fishes there a lot......and says it’s every bit as good as any Blue Ribbon or Gold Medal water out there.

Dave M

I used to work and fish with a guy from Boise -the Owyhee was his go to river - a canyon in Oregon, I believe.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 3:31 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks to all.

Researched the Owyhee. Thanks Rory would have missed this as an alternative. Looks like the best option. Close to Boise, open, accessible and lot's of browns to play with. Supposedly this time of year it's BWO's, midges and caddis/small mayfly nymphs.

Only other time I've fished out west was on the Colorado in the shade of Glen Canyon Dam. My wife and I met a couple on a rafting trip down the Colorado and he offered to take me in his jet boat to do some Rainbow fishing. Still remember going slowly over these immense gravel and sandbars and seeing hundreds of trout under the boat. We caught 20+ rainbows apiece on scuds before switching to some 5" raps on spinning gear as we drifted down from the dam. If I remember correctly my new best friend caught a couple of 20" fish. I landed a number over 18"... or was it over 16"? :wink: Sometimes I remember a bit bigger!

Seriously I had never seen so many trout. As we were getting ready to get back in the jet boat and drift back my buddy wades up to me and says "watch this". He barely shuffled his feet on the gravel and we had a dozen trout in our wake. Made me wonder why he caught the bigger fish!

I did return the favor when he came east for a dental conference in Boston. Took him in my boat to fish the Merrimack for Shad. He landed a bunch. He tried to horse in the first one and I told him that the fish was far from done. He was shocked by their fighting ability - said it reminded him of stripers on Lake Powell.

Will report on my Owyhee findings when I return!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm 
FFIMer

So as promised trip report from Idaho.

Had a great trip. Fishing was a bit of a bust for a number of reasons but it was my first view after 60+ years to the West and it was quite the experience.

First the fishing. Due to a change in my wife's work schedule instead of having the whole day to bang around the Owyhee by my self, I had her in tow and was limited to about three hours of fishing in the middle of the day. Stats = 3 fish hooked and 1 16" brown landed on a split back nymph. The rig was split back nymph trailed by a zebra midge. No split shot. No hatches to be seen.

Impressions of the river. Small to medium sized. Slight tinge to the water which I understand is year round, Small riffle areas followed by the tail of the "pool", then flowing into what some of the guys I spoke with referred to as "frog water". The riffle areas were all covered by several fishermen. The canyon was really spectacular. The colors even in the middle of the day were amazing. Saw lot's of dead carp.. big ones on the river. Noone seemed to know why they had died although two guys I spoke with up at the dam suggested they thought a release had lowered the temp down too low for them.

I did see a few fish caught although the fishing was being described as pretty tough. I did see a guy above me with whom I spoke take a brown.... I estimated at 4-5 lbs by the huge in his net. He said he caught it the week before in the same spot. It had a slash on it's back he recognized. Taken on some type of cricket pattern.

Next day my wife and I drove north out of Boise along there Payette river which was gorgeous. Much more like our eastern rivers than the Owyhee. No fishing but a great drive. In the afternoon we traversed a bit and ended up driving all the way into the Hells Canyon section of the Snake. The road stops where below a dam where the Jet boats and rafters put in. Hells Canyon is the deepest canyon win the US even deeper than the Grand Canyon... beautiful. It is a long ride in (~ 2hrs) full of 25 mph switchback turns but all in sight of the Snake. My wife encouraged me several times to watch the road and not the river!

Last day we drove down to Twin Falls and saw the Shoshone falls. Big and powerful but too many tourists! Left there and per Dave M's comment I had to at least take a look at Silver Creek. Stopped to look at a few places and it fits all the expectations of a Spring Creek. Small, clear, lot's of vegetation, lot's of undercut banks for fish to position themselves out of sight. But I did see some big rainbows causing around. Wish it was open! That's a spot you could really have some fun with.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 9:20 pm 
FFIMer

Not all people see it as fun unless you enjoy the true frustrations of flyfishing. My farther use to fish the creek back in 1966- 1968 (the year I was born) while stationed at Mountain Home Airforce base. I use to listen to his stories and dream of someday going back. I eventually did back in 96 or 97. I still have a jar of that Crystal clear water on my tying bench to remind me of that pristine piece of water. Trout with education and if your easily frustrated and not willing to pull out every trick you've ever read about .It's not the place for you. Holds big fat Rainbows and spectacular Browns in the 2lb to 8lb range. As the Terminator said.... I'll be Back!! Not sure when, but I'll go back.