FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2018, 8:39 pm 
FFIMer

It may be hard to believe with temperatures in Central Maine in the 80s today but Grace Pond in Upper Enchanted Twp and Parlin Pond not far away, are solid ice from one end to the other

The ponds off the Capitol road and behind Parlin mountain may be in various states if ice out. Road to Grand Falls is open and in pretty good shape. Logging operation within 100 yards of Rt 201. so expect delays. Fishing at Grand Falls is limited due to Spencer Stream flowing like crazy. It is up over the bottom of the raft launch. It's fishable from the falls down stream to the bend in the river.

If you don't have to fish I'd wait another week for the ponds and at least that amount of time for Spencer Stream to settle down. Kennebec in the forks is unfishable.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2018, 9:18 pm 

That area is in my top two Maine fishing regions, but . . . .

Down here in Central Maine, both coltsfoot and trout lily are blooming, the trillium is not far behind, and I saw actual mayflies on a stream on Sunday. If you pick your spots carefully, you can find alder leaves the size of a mouse's ear. I have not yet seen a trout rise, but did manage to catch a few beneath the surface Sunday. Explored a small stream today expecting nothing and caught 3 trout in the first pool below the culvert where I parked.

I'll wait a week or two to visit my Enchanted area canoes.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 8:06 pm 
FFIMer

Hatch, thank you very much for your conditions update. Because I'll be heading your way later this month I appreciate any information you are willing to share.