FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2018, 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T Birch Bark.
PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 4:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

I make knives as a hobby. I like working with the various steels and woods. This knife is a simple Nordic style with a Birch Bark handle. The significant part is that all the bark was gathered from the banks of the West Branch last fall. Sharp little sucker, you could shave with it, but I'll save it for a nice Brook Trout.

ImageBirch Bark 001 by t3 r11, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: O/T Birch Bark.
PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 6:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Nice Al, pretty.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 6:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

You are a true artist, Al. Very, very nice.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 9:44 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Very pretty, thanks for sharing. I know a guy with a nice little Nordic style knife. Now you new to master the “L” shaped sheath.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 10:23 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Very pretty, thanks for sharing. I know a guy with a nice little Nordic style knife. Now you new to master the “L” shaped sheath.

I'm going to attempt a sheath and might try the "L" shape bottom. My pass sheath attempts have been less that satisfactory however. Everything takes patience and practice.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 11:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

Two characteristics of my sheath.... first, there is a seam, so it is billionth as mirror images and hollowed and then pegged together. Second, there is a small sea hole in the bottom, which makes a lot of sense to me. Good luck and very cool!

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 10:18 am 
FFIM Addict

Sweet.

Also, even more off topic, there is currently a bark canoe on display on the floor at the Portland Museum of Art’s biennial show, made by the late David Moses Bridges. Worth a look if anyone is in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 11:20 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Matt. And even more and more O/T for those who might have an interest in Birch Bark Canoes there's a great story by one of my favorite authors, John McPhee, called ''The Survival of THe BirchBark Canoe''. Interesting story about an Allagash trip in bark canoes.

In Greenville, New Hampshire, a small town in the southern part of the state, Henri Vaillancourt makes birch-bark canoes in the same manner and with the same tools that the Indians used. The Survival of the Bark Canoe is the story of this ancient craft and of a 150-mile trip through the Maine woods in those graceful survivors of a prehistoric technology. It is a book squarely in the tradition of one written by the first tourist in these woods, Henry David Thoreau.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Bark-Ca ... bark+canoe

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 8:25 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Al,

Nice work! If you need some leather let me know as I can probably get some from work. PM if needed.