FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 20th, 2018, 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: keeping track
PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm 
FFIMer

brian foley wrote:
I've thought a LOT about the way I fish and the only regret I have concerning my wanderlust is that I have become intimately familiar with very few waters, including those that are literally outside my backdoor..........

For me I love the challenge of reading new water and catching a fish right where I've determined they should be. 8)

Breaking the list down, I used to have an office in PA and my employee there was really into FF'ing. He is the one who first got me onto the Big Horn.

ME was when we lived there. Most of NM were on family vacations west. Several places happened during work trips. I can look at the list and almost immediately recall the purpose or timing and why we happened to be there. Obviously a majority of WY and CO have been since we moved here. And with the exception of NJ, NY, WI, MI and Canada, there are multiple days on each of the other waters.

I am blessed to have a career that allows me to work from anywhere that I can get wifi or a cell signal so I have lots of flexibility. 100 days/year on the water is pretty normal for me. I know how lucky I am.

Post subject: Re: keeping track
PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 11:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

You raise a good point, Jeff.

On the one hand, on my trip this past weekend, I discovered a new piece of water in NM, caught my first trout of this year and first trout on dries this year, and first NM fish, and did all of this in a drop dead gorgeous canyon, where I'd love to go back.

On the other hand, the fishing was probably pretty darn good back on my home St. Vrain waters as well and investments in relearning there post-flood could pay off all season...

I do find that my best consistent fishing comes on the rare places and times that I've figured out as a near sure thing. Even for places further afield, I find that I do a lot better on most of them as I continue to focus on learning them and going back time and time again under different conditions and getting them dialed in. An equally quixotic quest might be to figure out how to get great fishing every week of the year. Where should you be the third week of April? How 'bout the last week of November?

For me, the wandering is kinda part of the point -- I like seeing new places and experiencing new things and fishing can be a nice vehicle for getting you out of the ordinary tourist experience. For example, the outfitter we rented our canoe from Arkansas taught me that overt racism was alive and well in Arkansas. And the outfitter we rented our canoe from in Mississippi taught me that there are Catholic hippies in Mississippi. And we learned that people will lecture young men buying beer in Walmart in Hattiesburg.