FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2018, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: keeping track
PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 5:31 pm 
FFIMer

I suppose there are others on here that keep a list of places they have fished? The 'where will you fish this year?' thread got me thinking about where I've already been. :) Very lucky. Oops, xls file not allowed. Sorry for the cut and paste.
Grand Lake Stream ME
Merriland ME
Pleasant ME
Presumpscot ME
Union ME
Kennebec,lower ME
Kennebec,upper ME
Magalloway ME
Kennebago ME
Rapid ME
West Outlet ME
East Outlet ME
West Branch Penobscot ME
Rangeley River ME
S Branch Dead ME
N Branch Dead ME
Spencer Stream ME
Crooked River ME
Prestile Stream ME
Androscoggin ME
Wild ME
Little Andro ME

N Tongue WY
N Fork Shoshone WY
Rock Creek WY
Clark's Fork Yellowstone WY
Slough Creek WY
Soda Butte WY
Yellowstone WY
Lamar WY
Fire Hole WY
Madison WY
Grebe Lake WY
Green River WY
Big Sandy Stream WY
North Platte WY
Grey Reef WY
Popo Agie WY
Laramie River WY

Ruby MT
Big Horn MT
West Boulder MT
Taylor Creek MT
Gallatin MT
Shields MT
Madison MT
Jefferson MT
Missouri MT
Wapiti Creek MT
Kootenay River MT
Mill Creek MT
Hebgen Lake MT
Middle Fork of Flathead MT

Gunnison Gorge CO
Sarvis Creek CO
Trout Creek Routt Cty CO
Animas CO
Silverton Creek CO
Rio Grande CO
Big Thompson CO
N Platte CO
Clear Creek CO
Arkansas CO
Blue River CO
Spring Creek CO
Taylor River CO
Roaring Fork CO
S.Fork S. Platte CO
Gunnison CO
N. Fork S. Arkansas CO
Willow Cr CO
Green Cr CO
Fooses Cr CO
Silver Cr CO
Poncha Cr CO
Marshall Pass Cr CO
O'Haver Lake CO
Lake Fork Cr CO
Turquoise Lake CO
Timberline Lake CO
Conejos CO
Frying Pan CO
Chalk Cr CO
East River CO
Antero Reservoir CO
North Clear Creek CO
Miners Creek CO
Shallow Creek CO
Saguache Creek CO
Lake Fork Gunnison CO
Henson Cr CO
Sloan Lake CO
Little Arkansas CO
Dream Stream CO
Slate River CO
Texas Creek CO
S. Platte; 11 Mi Canyon CO
Rio Grande CO
West Bellows Cr CO
Uncompaghre CO
Crystal River CO
Spinney Reservoir CO

Henry's Fork ID
Silver Creek ID
Big Wood ID
S Fork Snake ID

Baker Stream NH
Upper Connecticut NH
Androscoggin NH
Squam Lake NH

S Branch Raritan NJ

W Fork Kickapoo WI

Au Sable MI

Rio Grande NM
Pecos NM
Rio Costillo NM
Rio Hondo NM
West Fork Santa Barbara NM
Red River NM
Cimmaron NM
San Juan NM

Spruce Creek PA
Little Juniata PA
Yellow Breeches PA
Spring Creek PA
Fishing Creek PA
Tulpehocken PA
Kettle Creek PA
LeTort PA

Green River UT

Bow River Canada

Post subject: Re: keeping track
PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 10:24 pm 

I'm working on catching a trout out of every pond in Baxter State Park that holds wild brook trout before I can't get out there anymore.

I'm down to the ones that are hard for one reason or another--maybe a dozen.

A couple are fairly difficult to access. (One I may have waited too long. The combination of the long access walk through the monument and my hip and ankle after a car accident may preclude my getting there.)

One is known to have trout, but both respected anglers and a fisheries biologist who has surveyed it several times said something like, "There are only a handful of trout in there, and we usually don't get any. Never get a small one, but when we get a trout or two, they are all big ones." I've never seen a trout rise there, and several rounds of dredging with hare's ears and buggers have not produced so much as a strike.

In one I think I have figured out where to fish, but it's up pretty high and can't be fished from shore. I'm waiting for someone to invent a lighter float tube for that one.

And then there a few little puddles that may or may not qualify as "ponds" depending on how you tweak the definition. My general rule is to fish these from shore on my way to and from larger waters, but a few are deep in the backcountry and would require a special trip. Two days of hiking to reach an 18" deep mudhole with a few 6" brook trout is a lot.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 8:35 am 
FFIMer

Wow, Jeff, what a worthy quest! You might like this story. Friend, and ranger Bucky Knox had heard from Chris Drew about Center Pond. Chris used to bring in snowshoes and fish it from the floating bog. Bucky and I hiked in, fished it for two days and caught one 6” trout between us! But, it is ALWAYS beautiful!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 10:54 am 

Center is on my to-do list. Sometime (this summer?) there is a hiking trip with Center, Big Wassataquoik and Little Wassataquoik on it. After that I 'm down to the truly remote spots or the ponds I've been to already but not caught trout.

From an old fart perspective, I am very glad that the Remote Pond Survey Project did not identify trout in two very remote ponds in Baxter State Park that I would have dreaded getting to. Kudos to one of our best volunteers for getting the most remote one, and to DIFW staff for bushwhacking to the other.

On the other hand, if they'd found trout in those two--what a goal to keep me going.

There are a couple of very remote ponds in the Russell Pond area where the surveys did find trout, and they are in the "is it a puddle or a pond?" category. I will get in there, though, because I also want to fish a reach of Wassataquoik Stream I have not yet reached on the Baxter/KAWW border.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 12:46 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, we used to do a backpack that would start at Nesowadnehunk, the leanto at Little Wassataqoik was always the first stop. Don’t know what it is like now, but at the time the Pond was incredible! Then onto Russell, my favorite there was the largest of the Six Ponds, but Deep was good too. We would finish up by a night at Davis Pond, then up and over Katahdin to Roaring Brook. What a combination of hiking and fishing!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 8:06 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff,
That's certainly an ambitious plan... let me know if you need a pack mule for one of those hikes!

Peter

To get more on topic, I've only fished in Maine and a handful of streams in NH. I'm hoping to get on a few new waters this year, primarily a few Downeast.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 9:29 pm 

Wow, that's an impressive list Baetis! I've thought about compiling a list before but even with all the maps at my finger tips it would be a chore - my list would be about as long as yours but a much higher percentage of the streams would be in Maine and Canada - I would also be a little hesitant to name all my streams...then again a fair number of them don't have names - this summer on my Canada trip I'll be spending the whole time on 2, 50K scale maps and between the 2 of them, there are only 2 named bodies of water - those are the places I like the best - when you Google them, nothing comes up...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 9:46 pm 
FFIM-aholic

As I learned to say in my sophomore year of college... only the rookies count :lol: so t

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 8:40 am 
FFIM Addict

An alternative that keeps down the potential for spot-burning quarrels:
Which states/provinces have you caught a fish in? I've thought before how it'd be nice to catch a fish in all 50 states and however many Canadian provinces and territories there are (separating Labrador and Newfoundland, just cuz I really want an excuse to get to Labrador. It's a variant on trying to visit all of those states. If I've taken the time to fish, then I've gotten out to see the country a little bit, out of the cities. By my tallying below, I've caught fish in 16 states and in 6 Canadian Provinces and Territories. I have 32 states I could identify and apparently 1 I could not (or my math is poor this morning) and 7 provinces and territories to go. I'm going to fish NM this weekend and hoping to check that one off as well, so I'm closing in on 17. But I honestly thought I was further along. When I stop to think more about it, I realize that some states I tried or had plans to try don't actually have a fish-catching memory behind them.

North of the Ohio and Potomac and east of the Mississippi, I've gotten ME, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ
North of the Ohio and Potomac and east of the Mississippi, I'm missing VT, RI, OH, IN, IL, MD, DE, PA, WI, MI. I'm in a MD hotel room as I type this and I know I've fished in IL before, but I think I caught nothing.
I'm missing all of the Pacific states -- AK, HI, WA, OR, CA.
I have the mountain west covered pretty well -- I've caught fish in ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ, CO. In fact, on this list, I can say I've had good-great fishing days in each of those states. I
From the mountains to the Mississippi, I've only checked off Arkansas. I'm missing ND, SD, MN, NE, IA, KS, MO, OK, TX, LA.
Back in the south, east of the Mississippi, I don't have much either: VA, NC, MS. I'm missing AL, TN, KY, SC, GA, FL, WV

I've gotten all of eastern Canada except Labrador: PEI, NL, NS, NB, QC, ON
I've gotten none of middle Cananda, Western Canada, and Northern Canada: BC, AB, SK, YK, NWT, NT, MB

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 9:37 am 
FFIMer

Good list Pushaw. Ohhhhh and I'd forgotten all about AR. White River and North Fork. :lol:

And NY and CT!

Last edited by Baetis on April 11th, 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 12:42 pm 

Pushaw, I'd be happy to trade you my DE, TX & OK for your ON...

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 2:36 pm 

Interesting that most of you seem to focus on covering a lot of different places. I've always been much more about trying to know a few areas really well.

Even when I travel. I had a great day with a guide in Belize fishing the Sapodilla Cayes. I want to go back and spend a week really poking around out there. (Who's in? It could get affordable with a group of 4-6, I think.)

Next year will be my third September Yellowstone trip. I still have a lot to learn about Soda Butte and Slough Creek, and have yet to catch a fish in the Yellowstone proper. Got two fish from the Madison, one from the Firehole and one from the Gibbon and probably won't be back unless I'm fishing around something my wife wants to do in that part of the park. I want to explore that NW corner of the park really well before I branch out. (Am planning a few days this year to find Snake River cutts on the Snake or its tribs.)

On the local saltwater front, after 40 years of chasing bluefish and stripers from Ferry Beach, Pine Point, and boats in Scarborough Marsh/River, I'm still learning spots in that system.

There is a lot to be said for deep local knowledge.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Many years ago I made several framed presents for 2 good friends and 1 for myself. I called the lists "Fly Waters", places we had shared over many years. These are way out of date now but still great momentos. More WB found wood and birchbark.

ImageFly Waters 001 by t3 r11, on Flickr

ImageFly Waters 002 by t3 r11, on Flickr

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 12:23 pm 

Jeff, interesting you should mention that - I've thought a LOT about the way I fish and the only regret I have concerning my wanderlust is that I have become intimately familiar with very few waters, including those that are literally outside my backdoor - but...my curiosity (and/or short attention span) has also led me to wonderful people, experiences and places that I would not trade for anything - from where I'm standing, the notion of expending a massive amount of time, energy & cash to visit a place as beautiful as XYZ, which offers so many options, and fish the same handful of waters during the same time period, every year, is inconceivable - but...that's the beauty of our sport - there's no "right" way to do it and it has so much to offer to everyone - when you think about it, few sports, pastimes, hobbies, whatever, can be so satisfying to such a large community of people with such a great range of preferences - and so we fish...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 1:33 pm 
FFIMer

That's a really impressive list!
In my 70 years of fly fishing -- I've never fished any other way since I bought that first Tonka Prince for $6.00 in Raymond's, Boston -- I, too, have covered a lot of bases: grew up in New Hampshire, have fished Scotland, Tasmania, New Zealand, Oregon, 9 years in Central New York (45 minutes from the Beaverkill), and 46 years in Maine. Winters in Florida have produced some lovely tarpon.
But my mind goes back to that 8" brookie scrambling over the flat, ledgey section of Punch Brook, in Gonic, New Hampshire, and my barely legal first brookie from the culvert under Rte. 125 in Barrington. The raw, heart-pounding excitement of it all! Hadn't felt that way for years until a double-digit rainbow on Oregon's Williamson, and my first, lively tarpon taken from shore in a Florida canal.
There's no doubt that fishing is just about the most fun you can have standing up. Think on those things, friends. You've all got memories filed away. Place and size is hardly the issue -- just the throbbing of wild life at the other end of the line. To be connected to that wildness makes sense of all the rest of what we put ourselves through.