FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 27th, 2018, 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite dry fly style?
PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 9:49 am 
FFIM Addict

All........

As dry fly season is only about a month away now, I was wondering what everyone’s favorite style of dry fly is. The “traditional” Catskills; ComparaDun/SparkleDun; Parachutes; or “I’m a streamer fisherman, dry flies are for small trout” kind of guy/gal.

I’m always torn between Sparkle Duns or Parachutes.......so I often split the difference and tie on a Sparkle Dun on the point, and a Parachute 18” behind on the dropper.

I like tying Catskill style flies, but truthfully, almost never tie them on to the tippet. Maybe if I fished the Beaverkill, the West Branch Delaware, Shoharie Creek, etc I might.

What’s your favorite style of dry flies to tie, and fish?

Dave M

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 1:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

All of the above. Depending on my mood I guess. I'm guilty of tying all of them. Probably the most would be comparadun/sparkle dun, catskill/mod.catskill, with emergers right up near the top, and finally parachutes. My parachute skills ebb and flow like the tides. Sometimes I can tie up decent looking one to fish other times I'm all thumbs. Mod.catskill are tiny catskill style without the wings.

Ron
Now onto the Masters

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 7:08 pm 
FFIMer

I go with sparkle duns for mayfly dries, mostly deer hair wing, but sometimes I use CDC. I just can't see small paras, but can pick up those sparkle duns down to 22 with no problem. Plus I find them much easier to tie.

Peter

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 7:34 am 

For the ponds, parachutes, hands down. (Though I sometimes cheat and put a sparkle dun type shuck on them.)

On moving water, depends on the water.

Have been playing more and more with heavily hackled flies with the hackle trimmed on the bottom. Good floatation, quick to tie, and all that hackle makes for a nice wing profile. Especially effective for mayflies that are active on the water as they skate nicely.

Here's an example with a foam "wing" for extra floatation.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blue-ribbon-flies.com%2Fimages%2Fmade%2Fimages%2Fcallouts%2FDrake_mac_emerger_380_311.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blue-ribbon-flies.com%2Fshop%2Fdrake_mackeral_emerger%2F&docid=nrEQwPIZbLwR1M&tbnid=kzMbnCBcF8G-MM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjowrO5jK3aAhVk7IMKHb0iAUQQMwg8KAAwAA..i&w=380&h=311&bih=735&biw=1536&q=drake%20mackerel%20emerger&ved=0ahUKEwjowrO5jK3aAhVk7IMKHb0iAUQQMwg8KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 9:38 am 
FFIM Addict

Traditional Catskill-style dries are still my favorite, but I fish a LOT of compara duns. Parachute-style twist tippet due to the current in most of the places I fish so I do not carry (or tie) many of those.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 10:27 am 

Hunter wrote:
Traditional Catskill-style dries are still my favorite, but I fish a LOT of compara duns. Parachute-style twist tippet due to the current in most of the places I fish so I do not carry (or tie) many of those.

Seriously? Twists your tippet in the water? We've got to teach you to reach cast and mend instead of stripping those dry flies through the current. . . . :lol:

I actually find Catskill-style flies and (especially) Hornbergs twist my tippet. But I think it's happening in the air, and is related to unbalanced wings. Don't see it with parachutes or other post or compara-dun style wings, or wets, streamers, nymphs.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 10:43 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Hunter wrote:

Seriously? Twists your tippet in the water? We've got to teach you to reach cast and mend instead of stripping those dry flies through the current. . . . :lol:

I actually find Catskill-style flies and (especially) Hornbergs twist my tippet. But I think it's happening in the air, and is related to unbalanced wings. Don't see it with parachutes or other post or compara-dun style wings, or wets, streamers, nymphs.

I could say the same about parachutes. They just don't cut the mustard for me.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 11:14 am 
FFIM Addict

Speaking of flies that twist tippets, in my experience the absolute worst for that are Lawson’s No Hackles. If the wings are a fraction off those twist your tippet into a nest in about three casts.

The other fly famous for twisting tippets are Stimulators. Those suckers are awful......unless you go to hawser-like 2X or some such thing.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 1:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I am happy to say (in one sense) that my most consistent dry fly fishing days are probably behind me for a few years.... happy because we are home, but of course it was good fun while I had it.

So, what I learned are that a simple biot comparadun and a biot cdc caddis could just about cover everything I needed, by mixing size and color, throw in an x-caddis for frothy water and I am probably good. When I say cdc caddies, I do mean a traditional f-fly, but with some tweaks I used them to cover mayflies too.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 3:13 pm 
FFIMer

nobodies mention this ..so I will I tie a bunch of Fran betters "the Usual" from size 12 down to 18's and I cover the type of Mayfly with the color thread BWO, Sulfurs ..Hendrickson's march browns ..they float well ..dry off real easy ..sit nice and low in the surface film ..and most of all they just plain up catch fish.. that and Klinkhammer's is all I need

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 8:19 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
Jeff Reardon wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I could say the same about parachutes. They just don't cut the mustard for me.

Funny, all the flies I fish have the tendency to straighten out tippet.

But seriously, on the rare occasion I fish dries it's Dave M's sparkle duns or an ESP, if that can be considered a true "dry".

PostPosted: April 9th, 2018, 11:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Parachute Adams is my hands down favorite dry -- not to tie, to fish. I prefer parachutes in general, and parachute emergers (like a brooks sprout) when I really need to catch fish. Unfortunately, my tying skills have not been consistent enough to get much success with tying ones that catch fish.

But if we're talking about durability and floatability and fish catching ability, it's hard to beat foam flies.

I'm thinking about caddis tonight cuz I hope to be finally getting out to fish a caddis hatch this weekend, maybe, supposedly, if the reports are right and the spring weather align so it's not too cold or too windy to fish it... For caddis dries, I fish either a peacock-body elk hair caddis, or a foam body elk hair caddis as my dry, and then some kind of ugly no hackle cripple/emerger on the dropper (if not a baetis). And even I can tie a peacock caddis that catches fish (let's not talk about the grotesque variability in the heads).

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 8:58 am 
FFIM-aholic

What CDC said.
An offshoot of the Haystack series the Usual just keeps working for me.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 9:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hackle-less. Sparkle duns and cdc loopwings and ESP. If it floats I call it a dry.
Bushy deer hair caddis and Stimmies. Stimulators have brought me the biggest fish in the last three years and when fish are eating adult stones there isn't a better option in my opinion.
Parachutes are climbing quickly on my list but don't tie them...yet. Love the visibility.
Cripples are excellent.