FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 7:28 pm 
FFIMer

I purchased a 5wt Cabela’s switch rod this winter..... I’ve been chucking flies for 50 years and this is something new for me to try. I am a newbie at swinging flies so any advice is welcome.....please. Now I’m trying to figure out the world of spay/switch lines in the 200ish gram market. To make a long question short ..... I’m leaning towards a Rio Switch Chucker.......Thoughts?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm 
FFIMer

I don’t know a whole lot about them, but I do have a LLB 11' 7wt. I've used it for trout, LLS, smallmouth, and stripers... it's a little heavy for most trout and salmon, but fantastic for smallies and stripers. I have been using my 9wt lines on the switch, and they work just fine. I bought a Rio Outbound 450 grain sinking head to use on both my 9' 9wt and 11' 7wt. I've yet to cast it, but suspect it will work just fine on both rods.

Peter

PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 9:32 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks Peter for your reply....maybe I’m just over thinking this. Someplace is the 3days of youtube vid’s I’ve watched it was explained 2 hand spay/switch rods use a different weighting system. If used in a single hand cast the line is pushed up 2-3 weights. A 5wt switch rod needs a 7-8wt traditional line to load. In the good old days a 5wt rod used a 5wt line and I only concerned myself with leader selection and today even leader selection can be complicated. This spay/switch “Setup” seems to of added several more layers. At the center is a 30ft piece clothesline size fly line with loops on both ends attached to a running line of which there are several choices. To the front loop you connect one of a bazillion different tips. The other option is to wade through a maze of seamless one piece lines that you can still attach different tip sections if you desire but not necessary to load the rod. The only consolation is most spay/switch setups are designed for heavy weight rods. There isn’t much available in the market for lite weight “2-5wt” switch gear. It would be great to test drive several trout setups before pulling the trigger to see what works and what doesn’t.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2018, 7:24 am 
FFIM Addict

Both Rio and Airflow publish line recommendation charts annually. Figure out which company’s line recommendations you prefer, as they are different- depending on your preferred casting style. For lighter line weights- there are options, but they are limited. You can buy one of the few commercial lines available in light trout spey sizes, purchase a single hander line that matches up grain-wise to your rod, or call someplace like the Red Shed fly shop and have a custom line spliced together. While not common on the east coast, west coast steelheaders have been splicing together custom lines for decades.

One recommendation- find yourself a scale to measure the front end weight of whatever setup you go with. 5 grams can make a world of different in how a spey rod handles.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Are you planning on mainly swinging streamers or will you be fishing dry flies or nymphing as well? I bought the RIO short head scandi versa tip for my 5 wt switch and now also have an OPST commando head for it. The scandi set up has pretty substantial limitations in terms of size/weight of flies you can throw. I fished this set up last summer and fall with dry flies, west coast spey style streamers and nymphing and it work well. The OPST head for chucking streamers is fantastic. If you plan on just swinging, you can get into the OPST set up for under $150.00 if you shop around (including tips). Of the seven days I fished in MT this month, I fiahed my 5 wt switch exclusively for 2 and for most of the day 4 days. I am addicted.