FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 19th, 2018, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT Bluebirds
PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 9:07 am 
FFIMer

Was looking to get a few more nest boxes out,have them all ready to go should have gotten them out sooner but my fields still have a couple feet of snow in most places. The Males are here in full force staking their claims . Later on this afternoon when things calm down out there I will shovel down to the ground and drive a few poles in away from the action. We really enjoy having them around all summer.

Post subject: Re: OT Bluebirds
PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 9:59 am 
FFIM Addict

I have a number of bird houses around the yard that came with my house when I bought it. I've usually got a pair or two of bluebirds, plus a dozen or so swallows nested in them. Both are a lot of fun to watch. The winter was hard on those bird houses this year. The wind storm in November ripped the roofs off several, and one of the snow storms toppled another. As soon as the snow melts a little more- I'll be patching them up. I hung one last year and had birds move into it before I was even off the lawn.

My fiance and I purchased land earlier in the week that we're planning on building on later this year. After we meet with our architect this weekend, the plan is to either go buy, or build, a few bird houses to hang around the small pond on the new lot.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 6:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Blue birds are awesome to have around, but if I died and had to come back as a bird, it would be a barn swallow... they just always looks like they are having a ball and flying right on the edge.

Hunter, our last house in NH had a little pond on it, the animal and bird life was 10x normal and so cool. The spring turtle migration across our back yard and the spring peepers were just awesome. That said, one year we had two red tail hawks and a great horned owl move in, and that kept the tasty little song birds at bay for a couple years. Keep an eye out for that.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 29th, 2018, 9:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Blue birds are awesome to have around, but if I died and had to come back as a bird, it would be a barn swallow... they just always looks like they are having a ball and flying right on the edge.

Hunter, our last house in NH had a little pond on it, the animal and bird life was 10x normal and so cool. The spring turtle migration across our back yard and the spring peepers were just awesome. That said, one year we had two red tail hawks and a great horned owl move in, and that kept the tasty little song birds at bay for a couple years. Keep an eye out for that.

I’ve got two small ponds on the lawn. Wood ducks nested in the one closer to the house last year. Mama wooduck had quite a flock. Lots of critters, including about 3 to 5 owls around during the warmer months- but generally the birds don’t hide until the eagles do a flyby. Tonight- the first woodcock of the season arrived, “VREEP”ing around in the bare ground under the apple trees. And- I saw a midge fly by today. And the local brooks are running high with melt water. Spring is here.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2018, 5:54 am 
FFIM-aholic

The fall duck visitors were fun for the kids, though binoculars can be frustrating for little tikes. The hooded mergansers and wood ducks were the favorites. Not going to lie, it was hard to let they much wood duck fly away

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2018, 5:05 am 
FFIMer

Managed to get the a couple more boxes out on sat.
When I returned from fishing on Sunday noon there were Bluebirds sitting on top of one of the new ones. :lol: