FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 20th, 2018, 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 6:43 pm 
FFIMer

I've got to replace a broken guide on my 6wt graphite, what's the best way to remove the old thread? I read to heat up the epoxy with a lighter then once it softens cut threw the wraps and epoxy with a razor blade. Is this the best way? Then after I wrap what type of epoxy should I use to coat the wraps with?

Peter

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 7:11 pm 
FFIMer

Just touch the threads at the guide foot with a razor blade and unwrap.Take your time. Do not use heat(too much chance to damage the blank)...I've done hundreds of these. Rewrap and finish with epoxy finish like flex coat. If you are not worried about appearance, just head over to your wife's nail polish stash and finish your wraps with four or five coats of her clear finish......It'll last damned near as long as flex coat and cost ya nothing.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 7:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yes beware the heat. You could, if you are careful heat the exacto blade or razor but don't heat the blank. Replace the guide and use flex coat to cover the thread. Two things to be concerned about with Flexcoat. First, follow the mixing directions to the letter and mix the epoxy for the amount of time recommended. Improperly mixed epoxy will never dry. Second, be prepared to rotate the rod as the epoxy dries, it will sag if you don't. Those of us who build rods have a small motor that rotates the blank, if you don't have something then do this on a day you can afford to spend time with the rod and rotate it by hand.

Oh and thread replacement is tricky, If you're trying to match the current thread you may need to coat the thread with a color preservative before using the epoxy. Flexcoat can change the color of unprotected thread.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 8:41 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks,
That worked pretty well, took my time with a razor blade and cleaned it up with some 1500 grit sandpaper. I'm not too concerned about matching the thread wraps.

And, apparently it was damp/wet when I put it in the the tube last year... so I had to bleach and scrub the cork.

Peter

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 3:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeez. ....
I thought Boz had fallen and hurt himself..... :shock: