FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 20th, 2018, 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boat nets
PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 3:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm not that hung up on nets for wade fishing, but for boat fishing, they are critical equipment. A pig on the line and no net with a boat is a tough spot. I have gone through way too many boat nets in the last 7 or 8 years.
Problem 1: Nets without a place to live on a raft wind up set on a tube and get knocked in the water by waves while nobody is looking. Solution: I got a small piece of PVC pipe and strapped it to the deck, so the net is held flat on the deck, out of the way of line (or in a useful spot to serve as a stripping basket.

Problem 2 (my current problem): I keep breaking nets for no great reason. As in, we go to net a fish and the net just breaks. I assume some of this is from repeated cycling from all of the good fish we've been landing. But... maybe not. One technically broke when a friend was trying to club a big rainbow to death -- maybe a little karma on that.

What net should I get that won't break in a few years? How do I keep from breaking it? I want a rubber bag, and good handle length.

Post subject: Re: boat nets
PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
FFIMer

It's tough to beat the classic looks of a good, handmade wooden net... but I have a Fishpond Nomad net that is fantastic. Carbon fiber and fiberglass with a ghost bag, it seems indestructible. And light. They come in many sizes including boat sized.

I am hung up on using a net while wading.. it's much easier to deal with a fish in a net then a fish flipping around on the ground... IMO.

Peter

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 6:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

I use the large Measure Net. All Alum with rubber net. Lightweight, expandable, and pretty much unbreakable. And it measures fish.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 9:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I've had my Stevens 33R for close to 10 yrs now. It's my go to canoe net. I keep it just behind my out of the way. It's holding up amazingly well. Still looks almost as new as the day I bought it. They make a 42" version that may be better suited for a drift boat.

http://www.stevensnets.com/products.html

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 11:59 am 
FFIM Addict

I have the 42" Stevens net for my drift boat. I like it. Rugged, but I wouldn't use it as a club or anything else a net isn't intended for. I've heard tell of guides breaking the handles after too many trips over the side using the boat as leverage to lift fish into a boat. I haven't had a problem with such, though generally don't use my net as a lever or a push pole.

My fear is the rubber bag. I keep zip ties on hand to patch a hole (if needed) while on the water. Something as simple as a hook nick or someone's errant foot stepping on the rubber can result in eventual breakage. I'm sure sunlight also wreaks havoc on the rubber bag.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 12:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
I'm sure sunlight also wreaks havoc on the rubber bag.

My net does not fear the sunlight, actually sees it very seldom. I'd need a swooping Eagle or a fish to get it out of the shadows.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 2:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks for the replies, folks. I have a Stevens net as a wall decoration -- it's too pretty to use. But I should think about getting one with a rubber bag to use on the boat... Maybe if it was pretty enough, people would avoid misusing it.

My thing with boat nets is when I or a friend hooks the fish of a lifetime, I want it to fit. I think that means a 30 inch trout, the stuff of legend, dreams, and nightmares.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 3:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

pushaw wrote:

My thing with boat nets is when I or a friend hooks the fish of a lifetime, I want it to fit. I think that means a 30 inch trout, the stuff of legend, dreams, and nightmares.

I need to go fishing where you fish, apparently. Alas, I don't think I'll be breaking the 30" mark in Maine, unless it's on an invasive pike/musky or an anadromous fish. I guess most of what you're targeting out near the Continental Divide are probably non-natives too, though...

Pretty sure I could net a 30" fish with the Steven's 42, but if fishing out west- I'd probably opt for the next size up. I know there are some monsters on the Green.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 4:11 pm 
FFIMer

I have the 54 inch Stevens picked it up for use in my Drift Boat
Bought it a couple years back. I was told by the folks who build them " To Use It " It has a change from some of the older designs I was told by the maker with some additional wood for support in the neck. If its used as a lever on the gunnel I guess you cold break it, No thirty inch fish yet but it has netted a few.. As most things on a Drift boat or any boat you have to keep a eye on things lest they disappear overboard For some sense of security I have attached a high visibility float to the handle have not needed it yet but when its in the water it floats flush with the surface,so at least you have something to chase down :oops:

Attachments:
P3200002.JPG
P3200002.JPG [ 139.7 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 7:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

K-Fly That float looks like a strike indicator for 30" fish.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 4:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

To be clear, I've never come close to a 30 inch fish trout -- never even cracked 24. But I've seen them swimming enough times to dream of the possibility.

A Stevens 42 or a stevens 54 (maybe I could talk them into customizing to big hoop on a shorter shaft) might be just what I need.