FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2018, 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off topic Foam info...
PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 11:03 am 
FFIM Addict

Does anyone know what type of foam(the name) is used in the bulkheads of kayaks and other small boats. It seems rob usually Grey or black and pretty stiff yet pliable
Thanks
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 2:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

I think it's closed-cell pvc foam. If you do a search for such, you'll come up with "flotation foam" options for products you can mix and pour into non-structural voids.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 3:33 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Hunter. I’m looking for the foam that can be cut and/or shaped by saws and/or routers etc. looking for a couple pieces about 2’X2’X.16’.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 4:27 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Ron,

Probably a closed cell polystyrene foam and not a pvc based product. Too much plastic in pvc and that would make it heavier. Check out www.kayakoutfitting.com

Ken

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 5:42 pm 

Ron:

How bout those blocks of foam they sell at boat/marine stores to stick under docks.

Or you could ask the folks at Collinsville Canoe https://www.collinsvillecanoe.com/ next time you fish the Farmington.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 7:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Ken that is what I'm looking for. I sent the link to Foley(not that he wouldn't have seen it here) some of the foam would come in handy piecing his skin back together on some of his trips.

Jeff,
I try to stay away from the canoe and Kayak rental vendors. One of them loves to cut overhanging branches over the river. Stated a young scout could get hung up. I came back with survival of the fittest. And then i made some comments about a swim and extended dunking. Don't have much time for someone that takes persons $ and turns them loose with a watercraft they have no idea how to handle it. If they take me down I'm going to be scrambling up and over them to save my butt first.

Now back to my foam
Ron

Sir John Buchan