FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 20th, 2018, 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lefty has died.
PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 6:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

News tonight.

Post subject: Re: Lefty has died.
PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 7:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sad news, but not unexpected given his health of late. I never attended an event he was at, but did have him and his wife waive to me one evening down at the Hatchery Pool at GLS. I pretty much had the stream to myself, which isn’t uncommon in September before the fish and crowds arrive. I was fishing the far side, working a sporadically rising fish, and looked up to see the two of them silently watching me fish. They waived hello and quietly went on their way. Good neighbors from my perspective.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 7:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

I met him at a show and spoke to him about a video he had made about nature photography (actually his profession before fishing took over). My wife wanted a copy of the tape and he took my address and about a week later it showed up. Nice guy.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 8:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

A life well lived. RIP Lefty.

Lefty and Stephen Hawking on the same day. The world is a far poorer place today without these two giants of their respective passions.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 8:50 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I had lunch with Lefty once at one of the LL Bean spring events. He was quite the story teller and had everyone at his attention. I will say I didn’t eat much that day as Lefty sat across from me eating his lunch and talking pretty much at the same time. There were chip parts flying everywhere and many landed on my plate! He brought much attention to this sport we call flyfishing! God rest.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 10:14 pm 
FFIMer

i MET lefty AT THE WORCHESTER SHOW ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO .HE WAS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE FROM THE CROWD AND i OFFERED ..IN THE NEXT 5 -10 MINUTES HE TAUGHT ME HOW TO CAST FORWARD AND HOW TO DIRECT YOUR BACK CAST STRAIGHT UP INSTEAD OF BEHIND YOU ..i USED THAT CAST UP ON RGE MIRIMICHI MANY TIMES DOWN AT THE TALE END OF THE MILL POOL WHERE THE TREES AND BUSHES COME ALMOST RIGHT TO THE WATERS EDGE [ WE ARE TALKING ABOUT STANDING ON AN ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER ] i WAS ABLE TO CAST A VERY LONG LINE [ I DON'T DARE TELL YOU HOW LONG AS YOU WOULD THINK I AM BRAGGING BUT ASK MIKE HOLT AND HE MIGHT REMEMBER STANDING ON HIS DOCK ON THE KENENBEC ]

ANYWAY I WAS ABLE TO CAST ACROSS THE RIVER AND PUT MY BACK CAST INTO THE AIR IN FRONT OF THE TREES ..THANK YOU LEFTY FOR EVERYTHING YOU GAVE US MORE THAN THAT .I WAS ABLE TO CAST ACROSS THE MIRIMICHI RIVER WITH TREES AT MY BACK.. A GREAT GUY AND A WONDERFUL MAN ..!!!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 7:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

I always made my way to the casting ponds at the Fly Fishing shows when he was giving his presentation. Getting close enough to watch him was always hard as tons of other people had the same idea. A true gentleman and a magician with a fly rod. A true diplomat of the sport. RIP Lefty

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 9:16 pm 
FFIMer

lived a full life for a flyfisherman. his great mind changed the sport. somewhere I have a copy of his book about modern flyfishing. was fortunate enough to meet the man at a flyfishing show outside of Boston 20 years ago. I had just sat down at a bar in the place where a friend of mine and I were staying. He and another fellow sat down beside me and were of course talking fly fishing. After he ordered a large Whiskey Ginger I listened for aother minute and introduced myself. He was a total down to earth gentleman. When I told him I lived in Maine and fished there we struck up a conversation. after that I sat and listened to his stories and tales.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2018, 7:05 pm 
FFIMer

Sad news indeed.... but what a life he lived. I remember the first time I went to the LLB expo, 6 maybe 7 years ago. He was there doing a casting seminar and demo. I was still pretty green, I might have been fishing for a year or so. I learned a lot about casting by watching him teach others and listening. A lot of those techniques I still rely on today, what a mountain of knowledge must his brain held.

Peter