FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 23rd, 2018, 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 5:58 pm 

The Union River (Ellsworth, Maine) needs our help! The 2 dams on the lower end of the river are up for re-licensing - as a part of that process, we can petition FERC to require Brookfield Power to live up to practices they've already agreed to - The Leonard Lake Dam provides woefully inadequate fish passage, both up and down stream, and the Graham Lake Dam is operated in a way that causes unacceptable erosion on the upstream side and extremely high turbidity on the down stream side - it's the lowest water quality of any Downeast river I know of! There are 3 ways to make your voice heard on this matter:

1 - You can follow this link to an on-line petition and sign it and also promote the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/citizen-and-st ... on=minibar

2 - You can print out this petition: https://mainesalmonrivers.org/wp-conten ... n_2017.pdf

sign it and send it to these folks: Downeast Salmon Federation, P.O. Box 201, Columbia Falls, Maine 04623.

3 - Or you can go directly to the FERC eComment page (a little clunky) - here you register, get an email then write or paste your comment into the form and submit it. You get started here: https://ferconline.ferc.gov/QuickComment.aspx
(use docket # P-2727)

For more details check out the Downeast Salmon Federation web page - Thanks & Tight Lines!
https://mainesalmonrivers.org/river-res ... ion-river/

Attachments:
M Branch Union R 2.JPG
M Branch Union R 2.JPG [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 10:21 pm 
FFIMer

Wow Brian that picture brings tears to my eyes. Used to pass it on Airline road on way to GLS and makes me really miss Maine. Can’t tell You how many times I thought of climbing down there to fish. Hope your campaign to save river goes well and hope you’re doing well...sure looks it.

Andre

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 9:03 am 

Hey Andre, good to hear from you and that there's still a little piece of Maine in your heart! Yes, I pass by there many times a year and I'm here to tell you, going down (or up) that esker is not convenient, especially with a kayak...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 8:23 pm 

FWIW, here is what the 2 dams look like - if any of you will be at the TU event in Portland this weekend and would like to sign the petition, look me up at the FFIM table - hope to see some of you there!

Attachments:
Leonard Lake Dam.JPG
Leonard Lake Dam.JPG [ 63.8 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
Graham Lake Dam.JPG
Graham Lake Dam.JPG [ 60.61 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]

PostPosted: March 21st, 2018, 9:12 pm 

This was in today's email inbox:

City Council Workshop on the Union River Dams

Wednesday, March 28th
6:30pm
Ellsworth High School Auditorium
24 Lejok Street, Ellsworth, Maine

The Ellsworth City Council is hosting a public workshop on the relicensing of the Union River dams on Wednesday, March 28th at the Ellsworth High School Auditorium.

With only two weeks left to comment on the details of the new license for the Union River dams the Ellsworth City Council is hosting a community conversation between federal and state agencies, the owners of the dams, and you, the stakeholders on the Union River.

The city council has invited panelists from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Maine Department of Environmental Protection, National Marine Fisheries Service, Maine Department of Marine Resources, and Brookfield. The panel discussion will be moderated by Stephen Fay of The Ellsworth American.

Please join the conversation and show the city, power company, state and federal agencies that you care about your river, safe fish passage at both dams, and a healthier Graham Lake.

If you are unable to join us for this forum, make yourself heard by commenting to FERC by April 9th.

How to eComment with FERC.

Please consider signing the online petition on the Union River if you haven't already.

Thanks for all you do to support the rivers of Eastern Maine.