FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2018, 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 3:34 pm 
FFIM-aholic

This post has a sound track..... found here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqba0IUdiBk

As I guess some of you know, the Cole Clan’s European Adventure is drawing to a close... we are thrilled to get back home to the family, convenience, and brook trout, but as with any adventure that draws to a close, it is bittersweet. We made some great friends and had some great adventures while we were here... and browns, grayling and char aren't so bad, now are they? :). We didn’t let many opportunities get past us, but this last one nearly did.

I, like many American visitors to France, flock to the beaches of Normandy to pay our respects to the Americans who fought and died there, memorialized by all the white crosses in a row, under the flapping Stars and Stripes. Even novice historians know that those beachside places are just the tip of the iceberg. There are nearly a dozen more, several of which are even bigger, where the stars and stripes fly in Europe, to commemorate those visitors who fought to the end.

Not 5 miles from my office is another such place, southwest of Paris, is one of those Green Field of France. With a grand view of the city, barely out of the sunrise shadow of the Eiffel Tower, lie 1541 fallen American WWI soldiers and 24 unknown WWII soldiers, buried in the town of Suresnes (Sur-en). I had always planned to visit on a patriotic American Holiday, for the 21 gun salute, or to place small American flags next to the pristine white marble crosses and stars, but as we know... time and tide wait for no man.

So, before boarding our last flight home on Thursday, I took advantage of a nice blue sky to pay my respects to a few more (of the tens of thousands) who didn’t come home. While i was there, I witnessed three men, meticulously trimming around each of the 1541 crosses, and to my amazement, my silence was disrupted by a French Kid Field Trip, who were there to take in their own history from another point of view.

So, nothing to do with fishing, except, you may have one more guy edging you out of a pool this summer, because I haven't seen and EBT in a long time, but thought you guys may appreciate the view. :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 7:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

Considering all that is happening these days in our country, Your photos are very powerful and moving.

Thank you
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 8:43 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Thanks for sharing Tim. And welcome home. First beer is on me!

Ken

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back, Tim!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 4:41 pm 
FFIMer

I would like to suggest 2 other cemeteries in France/Belgium that are not as well known, but worth a stop if you happen to find yourself in Western Europe

Meuse Argone Cemetery in Romagne-sous-Montfaucon, France (WW I)
Henri Chapelle Cemetery in Plombieres, Belgium

Very historic locations of great battles (Argonne campaign) and fighting related to push into Nazi Germany from Belgium

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 7:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Well played bud - you and the family have had quite the adventure. Welcome home and I think there's an early season bike ride in our future; I'll pack in the beer!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 10:01 pm 
FFIMer

I enjoyed the fishing reports from France that you shared with us while you were there thank you for that!

J'imagine que ton français s'est beaucoup amélioré pendant ton séjour :wink: !

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 6:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks Guys! We made it, landed yesterday, and was awake with 3 jet lagged kids at 0400 this morning :). We close on the house today, and start work on Monday... giddy up!

Northernfly - oui, c'est vrai, mais, mon travail était tout en anglais, donc le français de ma femme et mes enfants est encore mieux :)... le meme pour toi, j'aime ton DIY Salters et Salmon.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 16th, 2018, 7:55 am 
FFIMer

A very sensitive post! I used to live in Paris either, visited places you talking about... Also some in Bordeaux and in the very south of France. Somehow I didn't have a good phone camera that time and can't even share pictures. I really saw France from a different angle after living there. North is busy, fashionable and active, South is another France, luxury and slow. Impressive villas in Cannes, fancy cars, rich people, not my kind of life, I enjoyed most Paris and Normandy.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2018, 3:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I couldn’t agree more... heading west to Normandy, felt like driving east to the NH coast. Driving east to Switzerland was like driving into the white and green Mountains. We did the south, but it wasn’t our ideal lifestyle. East and west were nice hospitable people... it’s why they call it “the real France” :)