FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A day out
PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 9:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yesterday after I don't know how long, I had to at least make an attempt to wet a line. With over 2" of rain haven fallen in Wednesday's storm the Farmington had retreated to about 700CFM in the area I fish. That is the high end limit that I will wade in this area. The weather was gloomy, breezy with gusts and around 38*-40*. I had acquired some "sighter tippet" which I incorporated into my nymph leader. Heading in and trimming briars and bittersweet vines to keep the trail clear, the river was clear but high. I fished many holding areas and didn't have any luck. I poked through a few high and dry piles of tased up debris both natural and man made. Found one thing a bobber lacking the line attachment ring. (Prime Find) one stick bobber and 4 red&white bobbers.

As I was wading back to shore onto a small island I caught a movement out of my peripheral vision. A small 8-10" trout had been in this skinny looking side pool with tully weeds and flotsam. I imagine the fish had been feeding on winter caddis and early black stoneflies that were crawling to shore in that slack water. I continued a ways upstream and fished a dark hole beneath a dislodged, washed-up tree with rootball still attached. Heading back downstream as I passed aforementioned shallow area again a fish darted out from it as I approached. Seeing that it was maybe 10 minutes at the most since I had been through there I was surprised at how quickly a fish went back. Obviously this was a prime dining area and a place I'll be more careful around next trip.

Later while poking through another treasure trove of driftwood and other high water debris I flushed a woodcock in the damp, thickly vegetated point.

All in all no fish but a nice few hours in a favored place.

I'm keeping my eye on the forecast for Wed. hoping for raw, wet snow that in the past has produced some great March dry fly fishing. One can only hope.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: A day out
PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 10:17 pm 

Just more proof that it's impossible to waste time if you're on a stream - I would have been out last weekend if I hadn't been preoccupied...won't be long now - pray for snow.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 7:34 am 
FFIMer

Sounds like a good day...
I did a little exploring myself the other day still lots of thick shelf ice on the larger waters.The smaller creeks in my area are running high. Looks like your prayers are answered Brian
Going to get dumped on wed. night :lol:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

I wanted to go swinging for salters on Sunday ( say that three times fast) but my chosen river was in the bushes. I drove around and ended up at the aquarium with 20 of my closest friends. Friday is on my mind- flying out Friday night to Salt Lake, driving to Bozeman on Saturday, fishing Sunday-Friday with some floats hopefully on the MO, Yellowstone and Big Hole.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 1:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

Give em hell John!

Dave M

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 8:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Went back today. Water levels were still somewhat high, but very much fishable. I really was hoping to catch a fish, every trip I hope to. But today with the beginning of this latest snow storm, I just figured it would really add to the fuzzy warm feeling of catching fish in the winter.
But no fuzzy warm feelings today. In fact quite the opposite. I decided to slowly make my way back to the car earlier than I would usually leave. Conditions were beginning to go downhill rather quickly. The wind had real begun to pick up. While crossing the river I stumbled and all but floated my hat off my head. The water was maybe knee deep but a rolling rock followed by some that were stationary and down I went. Only knee deep but when you're prone with your head up river water still infiltrates clear to your socks.
Still it was better than work or sitting inside looking out.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know linemen are tough, but taking a bath in barely thawed river water doesn't sound like fun. I took a header in early April one year at GLS and still remember the post-holing through the thigh deep snow to get back to the truck for a change of clothes. The warm nap that followed was priceless though.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 9:00 am 
FFIMer

titleguy wrote:
I wanted to go swinging for salters on Sunday ( say that three times fast) but my chosen river was in the bushes. I drove around and ended up at the aquarium with 20 of my closest friends. Friday is on my mind- flying out Friday night to Salt Lake, driving to Bozeman on Saturday, fishing Sunday-Friday with some floats hopefully on the MO, Yellowstone and Big Hole.

Whoa, wait, the Big Hole? It's not even close to fishable or floatable. It's all but frozen across in most places. I'd suggest you focus on the Missouri and also consider the Livingston Spring Creeks at winter rates of $40 per day.

Back to the Farmington, I love fishing that river. My brother lives in the area and knows it real well. Enjoy going out with him and him picking a spot where we can fish together. There are a lot of spots he fishes that have surprised me. Everyone wants to fish above Collinsville or even New Hartford but down below there is some real good fishing. I've had some great dry fly days on the Farmington as well as some solid bugger fishing. A gem in the middle of such a high population area.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 9:54 am 
FFIM-aholic

MM- flying to Salt Lake tonight and driving to Bozeman tomorrow. My son lives in Bozeman and he has been getting out on the Yellowstone pretty frequently. Reports for the Gall, Madison and Yellowstone are all good and getting better. We are planning a Big Hole or Jefferson float is conditions permit.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 10:01 am 
FFIMer

TTG, not sure the path you're taking from SLC to Bozeman but if you come up I-15, get off in Dillon and head through Twin Bridges to Whitehall to get on I-90 E to Bozeman. You'll see that the Big Hole and Jeff are both frozen. Not good options at this time and that's from someone who wishes the were! Lower Madison is a good option though.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My son is floating Barney to Ennis today. Reports of a good float by another Maine regarding the lower yesterday. Depuys on Monday