FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 2:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

Watched K. Gallop on YouTube and learned some things. While he can be quite full of himself in person, he comes across well on the tube. He MADE me look at the way he ties P'chutes...which he calls "Tilt Wing" flies. He makes the point that typical p'chutes often lose the hackle by unwinding or by running UP the post...which,sadly, I have seen on flies I have tied.

If you watch the clip, he had the hackle UNDeR the wing in such a way as to stop any issues with creeping up a post. And, he made a point I had never thought of- in that the mayfly wing on a real fly is tilted backwards in most cases (or even formed with a bow in the base that leans backwards)- and zelon posts do NOT show this shadow....

Then, I had to watch his post on how we mis-use marabou....and I am once again guilty of what he showed. Worth a look-

Anyone tie these Tilt Wings?

Hutch

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 8:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

Well.....far be it from me to disagree with an expert like Kelly Gallop, but I guess I’m going to.

I just watched that you tube video. I believe he’s talking about a Parachute as a true dry fly......hence the hair tilted back, sort of like a Rene Harrop hair wing Dun.

I tie my Parachutes with the upright post and clip the post short, so it’s more of an emerger than a Dun.

And, using Ron Brown’s ( the Old Guide) method of supergluing the Hackle to the post.....it never comes off or undone.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 11:12 am 
FFIM Addict

Hutch, you made me laugh mentioning Kelly and his bubbling personality. He can be a bit strong in person. Knows his stuff I'm sure.

Interesting points made about Parachutes. I tie them with both high and low posts and also use a drop of super glue. I've never used a tilted post but the suggestion makes sense if tying, as Dave says, a true dryflie. Juet to throw a wrinkle into the mix, we also tie a post fly known out west as the "No Ass". First shown to us by a guy from NJ who fished the Henry's Fork it lacks a tail of course and uses tilted hackle to help lay the butt end into and under the water, so works like a true emerger. The Hackle trick requires you tie the top side behind the post and the bottom side in front of the post, this tilts the hackle at a 45 degree angle. This fly can be tied in all sorts of colors and works great as a Hendrickson emerger here in Maine.