FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2018, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-Season Scouting
PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 8:15 pm 

Yesterday I headed Downeast on a scouting trip - my goal was to figure out the access to 2 stretches of streams I've never been to before and to assess the kayaking & camping potential at 2 Cobscook Bay-side parks and finally to visit the easternmost brewery in the USA - first off, I was alarmed about how little snow there was in the woods out there - if we don't get (I'm starting to sound like a broken record to myself...) considerably more snow and low temps, runoff season could be very short, as in non-existent, so that was my first observation. I did find good access into some very sexy looking water that I suspect gets very little pressure, so that part of the trip was a success.

I visited the Gleason Point recreation area in Perry and the Reversing Falls Park in Pembroke - both were fabulous places to access the saltwater, picnic and hike about but unfortunately neither spot offered any direct/explicit overnite camping opportunities - Cobscook Bay State Park does offer camping and it's a beautiful site - I highly recommend that place - there are also an impressive number of other public recreational lands in the area that are not on most radars - check out this website for a great map of the recreational areas in the Cobscook Bay area: http://www.cobscooktrails.org/map.html

My last stop was the Lubec Brewing Company in Lubec - this is my favorite craft brewery in the state - I can't say enough good things about it - even if you hate beer, it would be a worthwhile stop - the people are great - they source everything that they can from Maine and do as much organic as possible too - the beer is great and so is the food - check out their FaceBook here: https://www.facebook.com/Lubec-Brewing- ... 739591377/

Attachments:
Thats Canada in the Background.JPG
Thats Canada in the Background.JPG [ 52 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
Stream Channel.JPG
Stream Channel.JPG [ 208.12 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
Cobscook Bay.JPG
Cobscook Bay.JPG [ 56 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pre-Season Scouting
PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:47 am 
FFIMer

I look forward to your Downeast reports Brian..
You are right about the snow I had no idea that there was so little, I share your concerns about runoff as Salter season is almost upon us. I'm afraid some of the wild brook trout have taken a blow with the low water last fall during the spawn.
The whole area you speak of is beautiful, spent time camping at Cobscook Bay State park some great sites off the beaten path actually spent a few nights of my honeymoon camping there. We loved the fact that you could dig clams on the park grounds and the digging was good, do not know how it is now seems like that was a life time ago..
That cut is interesting do you think it was a mill site? Looks like its ready to fish now.. :!:

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:49 am 

Brian, is that an old mill race? Looks suspiciously straight, as though it had been blasted rather than cut by water and time.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:58 am 
FFIM-aholic

I fished the local winter stream in Waldo County. Fair bit of snow in the woods and the water was up. Hooked one fish and LDR'd it- there is a new brush pile that is eating a lot of flies. I will have to get out my mask this summer and retrieve all my thin mints that I have left there this winter.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:58 pm 

Drew & Jeff, I was thinking the same thing except that was the only visible channel in sight and there was no sign of any cutting, drilling or blasting or any real signs of industry in the area - I know there used to be at least 1 saw mill upstream of where I was - I've seen other cuts like this one where I was sure there was never any mills or anything else...
A ways up the coast I came across an old plaster mill out in the woods on a brook - it had several large granite block reservoirs and huge, smooth granite "rolling pins" littered the area - trees were growing up thru it all - it reminded me of one of those lost Cambodian cities...
John, 4 weeks from Saturday there's a fair chance I'll be swimming around in that stream of yours - I'll keep my eyes out for your thin mints!
Tight Lines!