FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 17th, 2018, 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 8:25 am 
FFIMer

Next fly box to be refilled is my sparkle dun's
What is left is chewed or picked around because I thought that they may be over dressed some have been in the box for awhile. I still have a tendency sometimes to go a little heavy on the dubbing a habit I have broken :wink: kind of..
Since learning to tie the S.D with Dave at a tie and lie at Mike's old shop it has really been my go to may fly imitation. It is easy to tie (even for me) Easy to see that little fan of deer hair and with some frogs fanny on the wing it will float like a cork. I use it most with 18" of tippet off the bend with a emerger a deadly combo that really catches fish! Anyway in the improved version as far as I can tell the zelon tail is brought up into the back of the fan wing if I'm correct.. is anyone else tying this new version or is it just old news that I missed ?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 9:07 am 
FFIM Addict

I tie both the old stand-by regular Sparkle Dun and the Improved Sparkle Dun, and, truth be told, I don’t find that the so called “Improved” version either catches more trout or floats any better.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 9:10 am 
FFIM Addict

I like the improved version in smaller sizes, but like the original for 16s and larger. For smaller sizes, I use a thread body and just a touch of dubbing around the thorax.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 9:56 am 
FFIMer

I only tie it improved, always have. It is also my go to mayfly, and it is probably the only mayfly I fish.... I tie it in 18, 20, and 22, and it is easy to tie in those small sizes. I do have a hard time getting the wing to stay in the correct position, and to fan out a full 180°, but it still catches fish.

Peter

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm 
FFIMer

The hook for the improved is a 2488(TMC) or Dai-Riki 125 the original sparkle Dunn is tied on the standard dry fly hook.
The improved version works much better as an emerger than the original.
The hooks (2488) style were not around when the original sparkle Dunn was invented.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 1:27 am 

Other than a curved shank hook rather than a standard dry fly, what are the other differences between the Sparkle Dun and the Improved version?

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 7:11 am 
FFIMer

If I'm correct Jeff..
The zelon tail or shuck is tied in the same but left long.
Ends up having a small fan or clump of zelon which becomes part of the fan wing. I am going to try both methods this year, as some of you said it really works well with smaller sizes.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 7:26 am 
FFIM Addict

Two things-

I tie the body with turkey biots- which keeps it thin- and dub only around the head area...and I REALLY think the color of the shuck is key. DO any of you find that a light colored shuck is less effective?

Hutch

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 10:26 am 
FFIMer

I've tied some with biot bodies, and even with a CDC puff for the wing, but most are thread bodies with just a touch of dubbing for the thorax. I have 3 colors of zelon, white, light dun, and amber, I can't say I've noticed the dun out fishing the white, but I don't use the white often. I also use crinkle zelon, not straight.. I think it looks more natural then the straight strands.

Peter

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 10:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Other than a curved shank hook rather than a standard dry fly, what are the other differences between the Sparkle Dun and the Improved version?

The tail material is tied to also be a backer for the wing. It provides a bit of sparkle in the wing, in addition to propping the deer hair wing up. I usually just use a thread body and small amount of dubbing around the thorax on the improved version (but again- I'm only tying them on small sizes). They're a quick tie.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 10:48 am 
FFIM Addict

Peter010786 wrote:
I've tied some with biot bodies, and even with a CDC puff for the wing, but most are thread bodies with just a touch of dubbing for the thorax. I have 3 colors of zelon, white, light dun, and amber, I can't say I've noticed the dun out fishing the white, but I don't use the white often. I also use crinkle zelon, not straight.. I think it looks more natural then the straight strands.

Peter

That’s very interesting, Peter. Almost all tiers have differing opinions. I firmly prefer straight z-Lon over the crinkly stuff.......and *much* prefer either dark brown or dark tan over the white or light Dun for the shucks. Different strokes, and all that.......

Dave M

PostPosted: January 27th, 2018, 7:24 am 
FFIMer

I have been using the same Orvis zelon in ginger for my shucks and tails on most of my flies that require it. Same tube bought at the old shop, its the crinkly type. I would like to get some in a dun shade, wish I had thought of it I was at Eldredge bros. and Cabela's yesterday :lol:

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 7:00 pm 
FFIMer

Peter010786 wrote:
I only tie it improved, always have. It is also my go to mayfly, and it is probably the only mayfly I fish.... I tie it in 18, 20, and 22, and it is easy to tie in those small sizes. I do have a hard time getting the wing to stay in the correct position, and to fan out a full 180°, but it still catches fish.

Peter

One thing I have found after tying this pattern for a few years is that I get the best results with my wings if I get them set and wrapped tightly with my thread and do not rely on the dubbing to keep them in place.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 10:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

****Life changing tip for comparadun wings****

First, use GSP THREAD.

Second, after the wing is done, use a razor to trim the butt ends really tight to the thread, so you can keep your body and thorax thin.

Third, and most important, after your initial wing wraps, take three more wraps through the wing bundle, each through 1/3 of the deer hair and pull tight. This will flair the wing, lock it to the hook, and prevents spinning. Only once you’re done, do the razor move from # 2, and switch thread if desired.

Once the fly is done, a thumbnail on the back and the from the eye backward on the wing and it should be nicely shaped.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 9:51 am 
FFIMer

"Second, after the wing is done, use a razor to trim the butt ends really tight to the thread, so you can keep your body and thorax thin"

That is a good tip TGIF