FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 16th, 2018, 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bobbins......
PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 10:32 am 
FFIM Addict

........is it just me, or have the price of fly tying bobbins gone ballistic?

I just saw a new one advertised by a brand I’ve never heard of......for $70.(!!)

I just yesterday saw a new fancy Tiemco bobbin that I thought looked nice.......until I checked the price and not only saw that it was $80.00.......but it’s so complicated that Umpqua actually has had to put out a video on YouTube to show us how to set it up. Are you ########me??

I’ll stick with my several very old Frank Matterilli bobbins and whip finishers.......and I didn’t even have to watch a freaking video to see how to set it up and work it.

Perhaps I really have become an old curmudgeon, but as they say on Monday Night Football......C’mon man!!

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Bobbins......
PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 11:02 am 
FFIMer

It's not just you. Everything looks that way these days. And it makes the old Art Flick coat hanger bobbin look sensible.

Ben (a minimalist with an attitude)

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 2:35 pm 
FFIMer

Bobbins hold thread for cryin out loud. I've been using the same ones for years.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 5:33 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have bought nice ceramic ones that cut thread out of the box, I have 5 or 6 of the plastic lined ones that cost $5 that have not let me down yet. I am sure they will wear out. These are the ones in the pennyncandy bin at the checkout counter at Stone River. I will replace them in turn as needed. The two metal ones that came with my kit 10 years ago, also work fine on 70 denier thread.

I am on a minimalist trend at the moment, and almost including my vice, I don’t have anything on my desk that would warrant at $70 price tag.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have and use (because they're necessary with my vise) the Norvise retractable bobbins. I think they were around $50 when I bought them 15 or so years ago and no idea what they're going for now. The ceramic tubes don't cut the thread, the clutch system works flawlessly and the ability to buy spare spools is nice. The only drawback is that you have to transfer the thread from spool to spool, but with a cordless drill, it only takes a few minutes. Haven't had one problem, besides "operator error", since I've owned them. In this case, I think you get what you pay for. ;-)

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 1:37 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Do you need to use the Norvise bobbins with the Norvise?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 2:43 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Yes you do.
The rotating part of the vise is about 16" away from the bobbin cradle. A lot of the time saving tricks involve having that length of thread to spin dubbing, make herl ropes, etc. & without the clutch, you'd be forever winding thread back onto the spool while losing thread tension.
The Norvise site has all kinds of tutorials, etc on Norm's products. Love mine.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 6:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have to agree with Boneylegs on the Norvise bobbin. I love the thread control that is available. When tying and needing to pull extra thread for some step you have the option of retracting the extra effortlessly while maintaining tension, you want to throw a quick half hitch in to pause you can pull out as much thread as your fat age and/or job damaged figures need then draw the slack back in with a nice snug knot. After I picked up a box of ten empty spools today at Marlborough show today(more on that later), I was speaking with Crossroads, AKA Robin Reeve of Three Rivers Lodge and his helper at the show. Bill his helper asked about the spools. When I told him about them he said they ruined my personna. Not sure what he figured me for, but I told him after starting out buying tying materials when I started with deposit money gleaned from returnables I found in parking lots of the ski areas I worked at. And when I finally made enough that I figured I could treat myself those bobbins were something I splurged on. Glad I did.

Ron

Sir John Buchan