FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 19th, 2018, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .60 cent flies??
PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 10:16 am 
FFIM Addict

I have a very hard time believing that flies that retail for .60 cents can be any good. I’ve seen these advertised lately and I think Huh?

At retail ( yes...I’m well aware that a major supplier isn’t paying retail) my hooks(Tiemco, etc) are .32 cents apice or $32/100. Add in cost of other primo materials (Whiting capes, saddles, etc) and most importantly the tiers time.......and no way in holy blooming hell a tier can retail flies for sixty cents each.

Luckily I’m retired, and I don’t need, or want, to sell flies to make a living.......but I tried to figure out the other day, after reading about sixty cent flies, how much I’d have to sell flies at retail to make a living.......and I realized I couldn’t charge.......if I charged, I don’t.......take note IRS. (Grin) for less than $3.50 each. Most fly fishers probably wouldn’t pay that per fly so it’s a moot point. A friend of my ne that’s a pro tier mostly sells Tarpon Flies to the Florida Guides for $7.00 to $15.00 each......
But that’s a specialized market niche.

Sixty cents? No freaking way......

Dave M

Post subject: Re: .60 cent flies??
PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 12:21 pm 
FFIMer

If I had to charge for my flies based upon how long it takes me to complete just one fly......I could balance the US budget. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 9:51 pm 
FFIMer

Probably made in the same country as the $274 bamboo fly rods. I’ve never bought a fly, so I’m glad I don’t have to deal with the dilemma of choosing to buy cheap flies. If I didn’t tie flies, I don’t think I would fly fish.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 10:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

The secret to .60 cent flies is the low labor rate in Asian and African countries. Some of these operations use prime material, often supplied by the USA customer. When you're paying .10 cents to tie a fly then .60 cents is possible. And even at .05 or .10 cents a fly many women make a very nice living for themselves. Buy a dozen and then evaluate the quality.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 9:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have been buying some flies from Big Y Fly Co. My understanding is that they are all USA tied. The quality is occasionally sporadic, but for the most part, I have been very pleased with their flies and love the prices.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 9:37 am 
FFIMer

titleguy wrote:
I have been buying some flies from Big Y Fly Co. My understanding is that they are all USA tied. The quality is occasionally sporadic, but for the most part, I have been very pleased with their flies and love the prices.

Consider tying your own....you'll save a bundle of money :mrgreen:

Attachments:
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG [ 127.33 KiB | Viewed 1155 times ]

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 9:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

Labor rates, purchasing in mass, and a total removal of waste all help. But 60 cents is cheap.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 11:35 am 
FFIMer

Last time I saw quality flies even close to .60 was around the end of Mike Holt's going out of business sale.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 12:16 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I used to tie my own.... Saved a fortune.... :twisted:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 12:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
I used to tie my own.... Saved a fortune.... :twisted:

My wife actually asked me just the other day: “Just out of curiosity, if you drop dead on me what’s all that dead stuff in the fly tying room worth, anyway?”

I just laughed and told her I wasn’t planning on dying anytime soon, but that she REALLY didn’t want to know how much $$$ I have tied up in those “dead things”. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 1:30 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My wife has the name of a friend who I told her would help her with the estate sale. Better that she doesn’t know the value until it is a windfall.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 6:32 pm 
FFIMer

Don't think I've ever purchased a .60 cent fly. There used to be an old timey sporting goods store in Missoula, Brady's Sportsman's Surplus that had 2 rows of flies. A $.75 cent row and a $.95 cent row. I bought a lit of flies there and they were very good quality. Heck, I'm sure I'm still carrying a few. They closed about 5 years ago. Was real sorry to see them go.

If anyone is looking for a deal on Coffey Sparkle buggers, Sierra Trading Post has the good ones for $14.99/dz right now. I scooped up the last 2 dozen smoke colored this AM. They look like a little whitefish and I've been tearing it up with them the last few seasons. They have some size 8 black ones left. Caught a 16"er on Poindexter Slough last Sunday on that exact fly.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 9:03 pm 
FFIMer

I’ll never forget Alvin Theriault telling me the story of how he contracted with a company in Kenya for Black Ghosts, and got grasshoppers back. Lots of years ago.

Jonathan Farmer, of midnight sun, is selling flies through OPST at $15. They can’t keep up with the demand.

One thing I could never understand. People spend how much on gear, trips etc, yet complain about the price of a fly? THE most important part, if you want to hook fish.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 1:50 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

What's that saying...the first step to recovery is admiting you have a problem? I don't tie a single dry fly and buy lots of cheap dry flies. I manage to catch a fair amount of fish with said cheap flies. I buy cheap flies for a few reasons...I can't tie worth a hill of beans, and I don't have much free time to tie even if I was good at it. Yes, I know time and the vise and skill generally go hand in hand. I marvel at guys like Dave, Parker and Vermonter who have the talent and time to tie and do it so well. maybe when I'm retired and give up all of the other things I do for fun. I may not be able to tie or have the time to do it but I sure have seen the world!

Ken

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 4:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I will admit that I have started my own racket over here. I have 3 kids who love to sit on my lap and tie flies. I start and end with a demo, and then each kid does one on my lap. We got through 5 crabs for stripers this past Saturday and they came out pretty good.

Assuming their room, board, college and extra curricular costs are sunk costs, and the positive RETURN of keeping my kids off the mean streets of France and out from in front of the TV, and the fact that every $ I spend on materials at stone river brings up my internal peace meter, I think i ties 5 flies for $0.00 this weekend.